Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » interconnect question
interconnect question [message #40168] Thu, 06 February 2003 05:41 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
what is the difference in performance between 75 ohm stranded core interconnect cable ( also known as video cable ) versus balanced line cable ( the one with 2 separate wires and a ground ) ? bryston recommends 75 ohm "canare" cable to connect all of their components yet most wire companies make balanced interconnects for audio. what's the difference?

cheers,

george

Canare, Cool! [message #40171 is a reply to message #40168] Thu, 06 February 2003 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hey George,
As it happens I am a big fan of Canare cables. I used to work in a special effects house and we were advised to try this cable for our audio and video feeds. All of their cables I have tried are incredible, and I have used them ever since. I am curious about the use of vid cable. There just arent enough conductors to wire for balanced XLR. Sorry I can't really answer the 75ohm video cable thing, I'm quessing it has to do with impedance matching. They make a lot of different stuff and they definately make something that will work for you. Does bryston list a model # for the cable they spec.? I really like the L-4E6S cable for mic or line, balance or single ended. 4 twin helix conductors, a full braided shield and cotton filling. If you find out more about this somewhere else, please post, I'm curious now.
Thomas
well, found something cool! [message #40172 is a reply to message #40168] Thu, 06 February 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
George,
Found some folks who use either Belden or Canare video cable for their audio interconnects. Prices look good, and they use nice terminations. I think I know why the video cable. Impedance matching and very wide bandwidth(lots-o-teflon too). But you still can't do balanced runs with it. See link
Thomas
bryston uses.... [message #40174 is a reply to message #40171] Thu, 06 February 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
canare lv-61s 75 ohm cable. they are terminated with neutrik profi rca's. a 1m pair retails for $100US. i can purchase this cable in bulk for 70 cents a foot per stereo pair and terminate it myself. bryston states that this cable shows no measurable signal loss at lengths up to 1000 feet. my friend has listened extensively to this wire and swears it sounds almost has good as the cardas neutral reference.

cheers,

george

interconnect answer [message #40178 is a reply to message #40168] Thu, 06 February 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The difference between balanced and unbalanced signal pairs is that balanced lines are "push-pull" and unbalanced lines have a ground that the signal is referenced to. All other things being equal, a balanced pair is less sensitive to noise.

The best things for noise reduction are:

Being shielded
Using balanced pairs, and
Being low impedance

Will you be in Lima?

Thanks, I think i'll try that! [message #40180 is a reply to message #40174] Thu, 06 February 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thomas
i'll be there! [message #40182 is a reply to message #40178] Thu, 06 February 2003 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
my room is already booked. trying to get my buddy to fly us down in his cessna 172. the 6 hr drive is a drag. should be able to get there in under 2 hrs by plane.
if i understand you, 75 ohm stranded core coax is the way to go. i'll be changing some cables soon. i also read you have to be careful when terminating this wire as some rca plugs are not 75 ohm compatible.

cheers,

george

ps. karlsons are being used as lamp stands now.

Flying [message #40183 is a reply to message #40182] Thu, 06 February 2003 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Lima has a nice airport 8 minutes from the hotel. BTW, we've got some cool additions to the party, such as Bill Woods of Yorkville. Also looks like Ron Wellborn will be there and Madisound, too.
MBB
Logistics [message #40191 is a reply to message #40183] Thu, 06 February 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know you're going to have your hands full during this gig, and the weeks before and after. But I may ask your assistance in getting shipments in and out of Lima. I won't ask you to pack or deliver anything, but if I were to have a truck deliver a carton care of you, would that be something you could possibly watch for? And similarly, when I leave, if I have a truck pick up a carton, could you maybe make sure and see that the driver finds it?

These kinds of things may not be necessary, but I'm thinking about my options for getting stuff to Lima and back. I've not done this sort of thing before, and I'm looking for options that are easy on everyone. Any suggestions are welcome.

Re: i'll be there! [message #40192 is a reply to message #40182] Thu, 06 February 2003 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A shielded, low-impedance balanced pair would be the best. But unbalanced coax will work just fine.
Previous Topic: New DIY Pi Speaker owner and have build questions
Next Topic: 60hz-220hz peak problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 09:13:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout