Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » question
question [message #39997] Wed, 22 January 2003 08:16 Go to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I built the 2Pi towers a few weeks back. I mounted the mid/woofer and piezo on the surface by simply cutting the holes in the wood as specified in the plans. In my researching more about DIY speaker building I have noticed that some builders countersink the lip of the driver into the wood so that the driver is pretty flush with the wood at the surface. Is this nessessary or serve to alter the sound coming from the speaker, or is it just a cosmetic preference?
Re: question [message #39999 is a reply to message #39997] Wed, 22 January 2003 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
My guess is some would say it makes an audible difference and some would not. Generally you want the baffle to be as flush with the surround of the driver as you can make it to cut down on small relections at the lip of the drivers basket/surround. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but then again, I'm one who thinks my Theater 4's sound better with them set up with the port on the inside of the cabinets closer to the listening chair than on the outside, closer to the side walls!
Hope I didn't confuse the issue!

G.

I wouldn't worry [message #40010 is a reply to message #39997] Wed, 22 January 2003 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Hi! In this case I wouldn't worry about it, soundwise. The 'sinking' of the drivers can in some cases help to prevent distortion coming from difraction occuring when the sound is spreading on a wide angle from the drivers. The drivers in the 2pi, however, does not send much sound to the sides in the upper frequency area, where the problem usually is biggest. So, as the other poster said, in this case it's more a question of cosmetics.

Btw., there are other methods of avoiding the mentioned difraction problem - one is to cover the front plate in some sound absorbing material, like felt. But mind you, not all speakers benefits from it! Some are actually designed so that the extra output helped by the front is supposed to be there - in other words, they would sound worse if they were treated!

Re: I wouldn't worry [message #40015 is a reply to message #40010] Wed, 22 January 2003 18:14 Go to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Thanks for helping me out and putting my mind to rest on this one guys.
Previous Topic: College degree
Next Topic: Take a look at this TAD cabinet construction technique!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 21:33:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio