Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again.
Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again. [message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 06:16 Go to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
And heeeeree they are!!!

My son helped me make the Yahoo pics available to the public (If it were not for him I would be lost on the computer).

pic 230 [message #39817 is a reply to message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Looks like you need a piece of wire mesh across the port openings:) At least the drivers look to be up out of "claw range". VERY NICE JOB. Sam
Re: Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again. [message #39818 is a reply to message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
There are a total of 20 pics. Only 16 come up when you click on the link, but you can view all 20, I think the "slideshow" is the best way to view them.
Re: pic 230 [message #39819 is a reply to message #39817] Fri, 10 January 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Sam you are correct, the port opening is large enough for the cat to crawl in, the boy does not let the cats in him room so it should not be a problem, thanks.
Re: Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again. [message #39820 is a reply to message #39818] Fri, 10 January 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for pointing that that out, I agree that they view pretty good that way.
Nice job of bracing [message #39821 is a reply to message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Definitely pays to brace the panels well. Your boxes turned out great! The Studio 2s are my wife's favorite speakers, which means something.
Congrats on a job well done.
I wonder if anyone has tried the Towers with/without the coil?

John

Thanks [message #39823 is a reply to message #39821] Fri, 10 January 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yes , the towers are braced well. Kind of built like a tank actually. But, like Wayne says you can't bract too much.

These things weigh about 52lbs each. If I make them from MDF I would not be able to move them very easy. I used 3/4 inch maple plywood.

The parts Wayne sent me have the coil (0.5mH) included and alrady in line, so I am using it but I don't have anything to compare it to since this is all I know.

Super! [message #39824 is a reply to message #39816] Fri, 10 January 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, those look great!

I love the black front contrasted with the wood grain.

Superb!

Re: Super! [message #39826 is a reply to message #39824] Fri, 10 January 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
Wayne, about that very nice bracing. Is there any risk that the volume of the cabinet is changed too much with that amount of bracing? I've had the 2Pi Tower plans for a while now and definately need a set of low cost, high quality speakers. Those braces along the length of the cabinet would definately make building it a lot easier too (I use MDF and veneer it when built).

I'll start building them as soon as I've listened to my friend's 1Pi speakers we built for him this summer with some proper equipment, namely my Edison 22 (2x14W 6V6GT PP) tube amp and his Denon DCD-1450AR (I've got a DCD-1650AR myself). When I last listened to them connected to his old "el cheapo" Sanyo all-integrated budget stereo I though the Alpha-8 was doing a great job but the KSN-1038 definately sounded "sharp". Especially on electric guitar solos (we listen to rock music a lot).

One of the songs we listened to was one of my true favourites, Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb. Listen to that solo!!! It's magic, pure magic. Through the 1Pi speakers the highs were noticably sharp but I have some belief that a warm sounding tube amp will be the perfect match for them and cure the problem. I will know by the end of next week once he gets his new CDP.

/Erik

Bracing and cabinent volume [message #39827 is a reply to message #39826] Fri, 10 January 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
I wondered about that myself but I planed to compendate by enlarging the boxs a bit. Unfortunatly, I overcompensated a bit too much and even with all the bracing I figure I'm still about 1000 cubic inches bigger than it the box should be. Ports are 4 3/4" diameter, 1/8 larger than design.

After some listening I get a feeling that the bass is not quite right. A tad boomy in my opinion but I am not blaming anybody but myself, I'm sure Wayne's design is right on.

Good thing about it is that these speakers are my sons and he can't get enough bass. He actually turns up the bass on the tone control and then kicks the loudness button in too! I can't listen like that but as long as he is happy.

I did some listening this morning with some Vivaldi Clasical music and I gotta say that it sounded pretty darn good!

More listening and some A/B testing to come.

Previous Topic: Woofer-tweeter
Next Topic: Active filters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 11:22:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout