Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » High output compression drivers
High output compression drivers [message #39465] Fri, 13 December 2002 20:59 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne!

Haven't been around here in a while. I have been EXTREMELY busy! Started a new full time job, churnin' out the usual number of speakers, crazy stuff goin' on. Very busy. Just thought I'd touch base.

I'm revamping a lot of my P.A. line of speakers, and I'm looking for a compression driver which can deliver a little better output then the PSD2002's. They are a bargain and they sound pretty good, but when you start really cranking them, they get distorted. I'm looking for something with signifigantly more output (not necessarily more sensitivity) without all the distortion and harshness. I need a truly high output CD, but I don't want to stick with a 1" exit, and I'd like to keep the price down. The JBL's are simply WAY too expensive, by far...

Any recommendations? Actually, the main reason for going with the 1" exit is simply to maintain the top end treble and try to keep costs down... If you have a good combo for a high output 2" CD with a quality, but relatively inexpensive bi-radial lense to go with it... Please hook me up man.

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!

P.S. Those quasi 4-pi's I was talking about a month or two ago are just about finished. They are sanded, and just need to be covered. I'll post pics soon!

Adam

welcome back! [message #39467 is a reply to message #39465] Fri, 13 December 2002 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi adam, good to hear from you! looks like we are going to get a dumping of snow tomorrow. especially your way. just put up the tree and hooked up all the lights. listening to some www.jazz.fm on the karlsons. trying to release the stress of another busy retail day. anyway's i'm sure i still have a pair of monster selenium drivers at the store. they weigh as much as most woofers. let me know if they are suitable for you. they are new and i bought them from a closeout.

cheers,

george

Re: High output compression drivers [message #39469 is a reply to message #39465] Fri, 13 December 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My favorite compression drivers are the JBL 2426 and the Eminence PSD2002. The TAD 2001 is nice too, but it's expensive. There are lots of other alternatives, but some of them are just too peaky or lack top-octave extension for my taste. As you've noticed, these are all 1" exit drivers. I don't care much for the larger ones.

My experience has been that you either run a 1" exit device or forget about the top octave. Compression horns having 2" exit use 4" diameter diaphragms, so there's a lot of mass to throw around and a large area to try to limit path length distances across. There's 1.4" stuff that has a 3" diaphragm, which might be a good compromise except that it's rare. And there are other sizes too, but the common standards are for 1" and 2" throats. One exception is the TAD 4001 compression driver, which sounds real nice all the way up. But it's over $1000.00 too.

Re: High output compression drivers [message #39471 is a reply to message #39465] Sat, 14 December 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Adam,

Glad to hear your busy and have a full time job. For other compression drivers check out the selenium's. BC also makes compression drivers that are cheaper than JBL.

Bill

Re: High output compression drivers [message #39473 is a reply to message #39469] Sat, 14 December 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

Thanks for the input man. Did you send the email to atomic-fusion@rogers.com ? I remember getting one from you a while ago when I switched. If you have sent it in the last day or two, I haven't got it yet cuz my e-mail isn't working at the moment. But I will get it.

I'll try to make it out on the 11th.... I'm having a lot of transportation problems right now. I was in a car accident (nothing serious, nobody was hurt), so my parents are a bit skittish about me driving long distances right now. We'll see how it goes come spring.

I am using poly caps in all of the crossovers. When is Eminence due to release the replacement for the PSD3003? I'm very interested in it. Top octave EQ could definitely be used. I'm sure it'll have a good sensitivity (110 db/1w/1m or so?), pair that up with say a 98 db woofer, that allows me to elevate high frequencies by 12db @ 20 kHz from natural response just by using a bypass cap on the L-pad. For more extensive systems, active EQ'ing could also be used.

As for the T2000 lense, where can I pick this up?

When I get my e-mail up and running we can have more discussions. Thanks to both of you for the replies.

When did you send that e-mail?

Adam

Re: welcome back! [message #39474 is a reply to message #39467] Sat, 14 December 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Replay, can you give me some more details about them?

They look pretty sweet. How much did you pay?

I'm not exactly looking for a pair for one specific project, I am just altering the lines I am currently offering. The units have to be available on the market so I can build large quantities, but I may be interested in buying them as a test subject if they are still commercially available.

Adam

Re: High output compression drivers [message #39476 is a reply to message #39473] Sat, 14 December 2002 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to hear about your wreck! Hope to see you in Lima.

I sent an E-mail to you, but I'll re-send. I haven't heard anything about a new Eminence 2" exit driver.

don't discount rebuilt altec 900's [message #39482 is a reply to message #39469] Sat, 14 December 2002 16:07 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
I was ordering some altec 909 'phrams from Bill at Great Plains, and he said they have tested flat, on axis, mounted on 511's, out to 20kHz. Probably would do the same on jbl 2370 flares, which also compensate for the falling CD response by narrowing the vertical dispersion as frequency increases. A "rebuilt" pair with new innards will run maybe $350-400/pair, and handle something like 75 watts, about 112dB/watt eff. Less $$$ than NEW jbl's. 2 bolt mounting only, I'll be trying a pair in my quasi-4 Pi Pro's on the H-290 horns soon. Sam

ps, beat up 908's with blown coils are CHEAP, new 909 'phrams will cost ~$160/pair, and they are easy to change, then the drivers are "good as new":)

Previous Topic: Plans for 2 Pi Tower
Next Topic: corner horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 03:11:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout