Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Martintelli vs. Metal
Martintelli vs. Metal [message #38916] Mon, 04 November 2002 09:15 Go to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
We had a chance at yesterday's New England Valve Club Meet to compare Eminence PSD2002's in a metal horn and in Bill Martinelli's wood horn. (We had two sets of drivers - we weren't madly swapping back and forth!)

The speaker system used was Theater 4 guts reincarnated in a Karlson cabinet, Pi xover and the Eminence driver.

On swapping to the "woodies", it was immediately apparent that they were much smoother and sweeter, which wasn't a big surprise, but the treble seemed more extended as well. Still scratching my head over that, although the flare shapes were somewhat different . . .

I'd say the woodhorn made a lot of new friends yesterday . . . . ;-)

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Just for reference: [message #38917 is a reply to message #38916] Mon, 04 November 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I believe the horn John had in his original Theater 4's was a Peavy CH-3. I assume this is the same horn as used with the Karlsons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

G.

Re: Martintelli vs. Metal [message #38921 is a reply to message #38916] Mon, 04 November 2002 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those Martinelli's are really great, aren't they?
Re: Martintelli vs. Metal [message #38922 is a reply to message #38921] Mon, 04 November 2002 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Have you tried them with TAD 2001's? I'm thinking of stepping up from the PSD2002 before the system's even built! ;-)
Keep your ears and your mind open.
Re: Martintelli vs. Metal [message #38923 is a reply to message #38916] Mon, 04 November 2002 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i share your opinion on bill's wood horns. i was using the stock eminence horn before. huge difference!

cheers,
george
music is best enjoyed with a good steak, vintage cabernet and a fat cigar.

Re: Martintelli vs. Metal [message #38934 is a reply to message #38922] Mon, 04 November 2002 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I had planned to make a speaker for evaluation using a TAD 2001, but opted for the 4001 instead.
Metal horn [message #38938 is a reply to message #38917] Tue, 05 November 2002 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hi guys, just tuned in.
The horn looks like a CH-3, I got it on close-out from P.E. and was real happy with it until hearing the Martinelli's.

The photo's lousy, next time I'll try to block the light from the windows or something, maybe Dave got a better pic of the horns?
I think right then we were listening to the Karlson/Pi/Martinelli's through Ryan's 845 amps fed by the AN turntable, Seduction phono stage, Foreplay pre.

John

Wood Horns - chassis mountable? [message #38940 is a reply to message #38938] Tue, 05 November 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BrianG is currently offline  BrianG
Baron
Are the Martinelli horns mountable to the front of the cabinet or must they sit on top?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Wood Horns - chassis mountable? [message #38944 is a reply to message #38940] Tue, 05 November 2002 18:18 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Brian,

Currently there is not a version that is for a baffle mount. Plans are in the works for a moutning groove and clamping mechanism that would hold the horn into a 3/4" baffle, and allow 1.250" of the horns mouth to be exposed. any pricing for this has not been determined yet, since there is more work to be done in some respects and less work to do in others. So it is a plan, but since most people have not wanted to cover up the wooden horn by a baffle installation. There just hasnt been any provisions made yet.

Thanks for all your interest.

Bill

Previous Topic: Ping Wayne
Next Topic: DJ Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 23:35:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers