Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1
Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1 [message #38539] Wed, 02 October 2002 09:42 Go to next message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
So far I have one speaker screwed and glued. To get here it cost me money, time and aggravation. Hopefully my marriage will survive!

Having had no real woodworking experience to speak of I needed to learn a lot of basics live without a net. I had no tools except an electric screwdriver.

First job - determine whether I was going to rabet or miter. Looking at the cost of the routers I decided to go with the miter. Purchased a sabre saw for $40, made sure the base could tilt 45deg. Tried my first cut and it would not go in a straight line, it kept veering to the right. My guess was that the blade was not rigid enough so I bought a circular saw for $50. Same thing happened, veering to the right. I was told by my buddy at Home Depot that I needed a Carbon blade. I bought one for $40. Worked like a charm! Had some trouble learning about how to properly make a straight lines at 90deg angles but I got though it. Used a compass and the sabre saw to cut the holes for the drivers, port and binding posts. So far I have spent 9 hours and $130.

Time to fit the pieces together. They fit better than I expected. I screwed them all together first drilling the holes for the screws. I then took it apart, drilled the 'outside' holes bigger so that the screws would squeeze the two together. I then applied glue and re-screwed them. The glue cost $8.00 I thought that the mdf (MDF cost $15.00) would be soft enough that the flathead screws would countersink themselves. Wrong! Now the screw heads are sticking out slightly. (Do I remove them and then countersink them or do I remove them and add wood putty?) Time spent assembling - 4 hours.

I am not going to veneer them as I am now broke so I am going to paint them. I purchased a quart of primer for $7.00. I purchased around 90 inches of R13 insulation for about $30.00.

So there it sits. Time spent so far - 13 hours. I need to brace it, insulate it, sand it, prime it, paint it, and then install the drivers and the binding posts.

Then I will start on speaker number 2. I am expecting the time to drop dramatically.

ITEM 2 spkrs Tools

Saber Saw 40.00
Circular Saw 50.00
Carbon Blade 40.00
MDF 30.00
Glue 8.00
Primer 7.00
Insulation 30.00
Screws 10.00
Paint ?
Sandpaper ?
Braces ?

Total So Far $85.00 $130.00

Unless everyone objects, I will continue the saga as it unfolds.

Let the saga continue..... [message #38542 is a reply to message #38539] Wed, 02 October 2002 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
your tale sounds like pretty much every project I've been involved with......lolololol....I'm laughing with you .....pesonally, with 20/20 hindsight guiding me, I would always recommend a router, 3/8" drill and a couple of 4" clamps as the basic starter tools for an aspiring speakerbuilder...but from the sounds of it you're finding your own way and theres nothin' wrong with that. And don't be afraid to ask for help here...there are several master woodworkers and plenty of backyard woodbutchers to give advise( it will be obvious which camp I'm in when I post picture of my soon to be finished 4Pi's, gulp).
Carry on and good luck!
Kelly
speaking of saga................... [message #38546 is a reply to message #38542] Wed, 02 October 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
where are they now? for you yankees they were a canadian prog-rock band from the 80's.

cheers,

george

Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1 [message #38547 is a reply to message #38539] Wed, 02 October 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If the panels are tight together, after the glue is dry just back all the screws out and put them away for the next time.
Save some more money, make filler by adding sawdust to the glue, stir and fill those screw holes.
Don't sand what hasn't been touched; MDF is a great surface for paint as is. Sand roughness with 240 Garnet and primer with 400 wet or dry. That's all you need.
If you haven't opened the insulation yet, take it back; a 40 sq ft roll of R-13 should cost about $13 American at HD or Lowe's. Tear off the paper.
Get cheap spray primer at Wal-mart auto section, it will reveal imperfections in the panels as well as cutting down on how much paint. Fill the imperfections smooth with a cheap auto body filler, good one by Dupont.
Krylon is cheap and good and I really like Rustoleum Professional.
Keep on keepin' on!
Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1 [message #38549 is a reply to message #38539] Wed, 02 October 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
The good news for you is your next pair of boxes(if you servive this set) will cost much less because you already have the tools, but you will already have spent some time in the learning curve of cabinent making so less time will be involved as well.

don't give up... this pair of boxes may not turn out as well as somthing you buy, but they will only get better and be more rewarding than buying.

Hang in there and good luck!!

Not Giving Up! [message #38550 is a reply to message #38549] Wed, 02 October 2002 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
The tone of my note may have been a little too somber. The box looks great, the corners are square, not much filler needed. I can't wait for the thrill of kicking back and listening to them.

I need to remember the journey can be made as enjoyable as the destination.

Fresno

Re: Not Giving Up! [message #38567 is a reply to message #38550] Sat, 05 October 2002 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Black is good. Also carpet or fabric covering. All the advise you've been getting is good. The sound you hear when you're finished will be worth all the anxiety and flubbing you're going though now. Try and have fun. All the tools you aquiring will be used again.
Ron
Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1 [message #38569 is a reply to message #38539] Sun, 06 October 2002 19:09 Go to previous message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Fresno,
A post a few lines down by ToFo reminded me that vinyl or nagahide is cool too, with the chrome corner gards. Now some folks would say thats inaproprate for the home listening room. What would be cooler than a set of speakers looking like vintage 60's Fender Bassmaster or Reverb amps (or speaker cabs). As I recall those amps didn't have the chrome corner gards. Beige vinyl with the old Fender grill cloth.
Ron :^)
Previous Topic: One More Pro Series 7 Pi-18 Question
Next Topic: Pi Studio Series: SET friendly?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 03:31:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio