Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New woodglue
New woodglue [message #36396] Sun, 12 May 2002 17:15 Go to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I have just discovered, what to me, is a new woodglue. I use all sorts of adhesives, and this is not something I have seen before, either brandname or type.

The brandname is Gorilla Glue, "The Toughest Glue on Planet Earth" it says. Hah!

It is from:

Lutz File and Tool Co.
3929 Virginia Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45227

www.gorillaglue.com

"Contains prepolymized MDI, Diphenyl-methane-4.,4 Disocyanate. A mouthfull.

Also says, "Made in Denmark".

It has the consistency and color of maple syrup. It requires clampling, and tends to foam during setup like 2 part urethane foams. I suppose this forces it into the grain of the wood. And it suggests lightly water dampening one surface and applying the glue to the other surface. 1-4 hrs clamping time.

It foams oozes from the edges of the joints as it dries, I notice.

Well, so far, I have glued some blocks of pine and other little wood scraps, and it seems tremendously strong. Bonds well to metal, too.

So, is anyone familiar with this stuff, or other brands? It seems this would be an excellent glue for commercial sound spkr boxes. For pretty boxes, for your living room, perhaps this would not be the best glue for the outside joints, unless you were to laminate with veneer or plastic laminate

Re: New woodglue [message #36397 is a reply to message #36396] Sun, 12 May 2002 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Its good glue. I believe it is part of the polyurathane glue family. could be wrong on that but it acts like other urathane glue.
so far any work Ive done with it has been good. It's actually good for finished joints because the squeeze out scrapes off easilly, unlike yellow glue. It's expensive so I use when I need to only.
I highly recomend you DONT get this on your hands.
Re: New woodglue [message #36398 is a reply to message #36397] Sun, 12 May 2002 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yes, a polyuerathane glue, that is what it says on their website. I just picked up this stuff a few days ago at the local hardware store.

I found some info on the site... they said don't get it on your hands. And don't worry, the stains will wear off in a few days!

In the past, I had used yellow carpenter wood glues for speakers, and they seemed more than strong enough for the job. But I like the gap filling quality of this glue, even if the foamed glue in the gap adds no strength... it would make the joint airtight.

Re: New woodglue [message #36400 is a reply to message #36398] Sun, 12 May 2002 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Paul,

Your right about the gap filling. It makes a virtual "air tight" box after. The squeeze out on the inside of the box looks like a nice fat bead of caulk.

Bill

Re: New woodglue [message #36401 is a reply to message #36400] Sun, 12 May 2002 17:48 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks, bmar. I have no hesitation now for trying it on my upcoming spkr project... now that my new workshop is ready for work! Dig it, SIXTEEN foot long workbench, lots of fluorescent lighting, lots of wall sockets, etc. I can do some stuff now...
Previous Topic: the skinheads have left.................
Next Topic: driver with a fs/Qes>120
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 00:56:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout