Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » initial exponential horn design
initial exponential horn design [message #36085] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:08 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I drew up a sketch of my 40 Hz exponential horns and I decided to post it to see what everyone thinks.

It's actually even bigger then I originally posted. The design I was looking at was for a 1/4 space horn and this is going to be an all-out 1/2 space design.

The mouth area is 4,550 sq inches, dimensions on the mouth are six feet wide and six feet tall.

In this picture, the horn is 72" tall and 58" deep. Also, the entire thing would be 72" wide as well.

The first expansion is a horizontal one, coming from the throat down to the first fold. It expands from a 49 sq inch throat (14"x3") to the widest it can get which is 72". So at the 1000 sq inch mark, the horn folds, and then the expansion continues vertically to the mouth of the horn. This is a rough drawing, but the estimated horn length is 11.5 feet, -3db points at 39 Hz and 285 Hz.

So, any comments? I know bracing is going to be rough, I'm just hoping that having the two lengths sharing one wall will help cancel out vibrations. I'll use cross bracing inside the horn to bind opposing walls together, add stiffening ribs every ten inches or so and use expanding foam in the cracks.

I think it's a pretty good design, except that when I build it I'll probably not have the first expansion follow the wall of the second expansion so closely, so it isn't bent like that. That should simplify things.

P.S. the entire volume of the horn (externally) is about 117 cubic feet!

Adam

Ooops, picture here... [message #36086 is a reply to message #36085] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Adam
Big! [message #36087 is a reply to message #36086] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's one big horn!

I gotta see this thing. You could move in a bed and live in that thing!

Re: Big! [message #36088 is a reply to message #36087] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll make it a self contained trailer if I have to :P

Adam

Re: initial exponential horn design [message #36089 is a reply to message #36085] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
in lima we hooked up the altec a4's. 8 feet tall and made out of 3/4" ply. the cabinet echoed like a canyon, obviously lacking in the brace dept. yet they still sounded good. actually real good. not much energy below 60 hz though. adam, when you crank'em up do you think i'll here them, only 2 hours away.

cheers,

george

Re: initial exponential horn design [message #36090 is a reply to message #36089] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You can come see/listen if you want... We'll have a field day over at the trebuchet with a pair of ten pi's, this thing and some rocks to huck :)

Adam

Re: Big! [message #36092 is a reply to message #36088] Tue, 23 April 2002 19:37 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
you should just build two garages. one in each corner of your yard. call them a speaker during a concert and a garage the reast of the time! these things gotta be great. :)
Previous Topic: compression driver + 15 inch or large piezo horn + 15 inch
Next Topic: good plywood? bad plywood? I'm the plywood with the gun.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 00:31:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio