Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Pro's and pp6BQ5's
4 Pi Pro's and pp6BQ5's [message #35762] Tue, 02 April 2002 06:07 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
in my fisher 500-S are a match made in heaven. Driven into the aux inputs by my sand preamp...absolutely ZERO hum...this is a 40+ year old tube receiver...only cap changes were the voltage doubler ones...replaced with minature ec's that fit inside the original cardboard "can".
MIDRANGE/vocals sound BETTER than the sand amps. I think the tube amp can't supply extra current, so the zobel is acting to suppress the woofs rising response better. OR the 14 year old monster cable interconnects are well broken in, contributing considerable "magic":)
Regarding tube friendly Z characteristics, the Fl peak is only 22.5 ohms/26Hz, Z min. near Fb is 6.3 ohms/48Hz, Fh was 20.5ohms/80Hz. Calculated system tuning was 48Hz...I'm not cutting the tubes again...ended up at 3.0idx1.5long...the 2.5cu.ft. net enclosure volume acts like about 3.3cu.ft. once the 1.2cu.ft. of 'glass was added, according to boxplot and ausberger(sp). Aside from the normal zpeaks, everywhere else the Z stays between the absolute min. of 5.8ohms/195Hz. and 9.0ohms/1500Hz. From 3kHz to 20kHz, the Z stays between 8.2 and 7.1 ohms.
NO HUM! Who stole the hum??? Sam
a NASTALGIC 120 volt "deja vu" [message #35763 is a reply to message #35762] Tue, 02 April 2002 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne and guys,
The recent epedemic of tube fever here bears a CAUTIONARY WARNING...my Fisher 500-S has a 50/50 chance of being plugged in with the chassis at full line voltage...we all use a dmm to verify these things when mixing old gear with UL "safety" grounded modern stuff, right!? Sam

Ahh, those were the days! [message #35764 is a reply to message #35763] Tue, 02 April 2002 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some tied the left side to the chassis, but electricians sometimes didn't pay attention to the standard, which is to make the left side neutral. So it is just as common to find the chassis at line voltage as neutral. Since it's AC, "neutral" really isn't relevant to the operation of the circuit, but when you touch the chassis, you sure find the relevance! It can also make connecting equipment togetyher very exciting.

I'm sure you recall the "floating ground" that was common in stuff made in the 50's and 60's. That was the first attempt to make household electronics safer. If one side of the line is connected to the chassis and you touched the chassis of two devices together - one plugged in one way and the other plugged in opposite - the two chassis would be at opposite potentials and sparks fly. So with floating grounds, that doesn't happen but it still means the chassis would "float" to about 70 volts.

These are why most guys use an isolation transformer on the old stuff - Trying to keep from letting the smoke out of the scope. Remember those 1-to-1 isolation transformers?

can you IMAGINE how much smoke is inside [message #35765 is a reply to message #35764] Tue, 02 April 2002 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
my tectronix 545B scope...it's really scary how many "red plates" or something are in there...when it fries I'll need a respirator for weeks :) But everytime that dinosaur blinks to life, I utter a silent praise to the tech who built it. Just wish it did not weigh 100(?) pounds, I need a cute portable like Wayne has. Fess up Wayne, how many mV of hum did you measure coming out of the tube amps!!! Sam
Re: first of many silly qestions... [message #35773 is a reply to message #35765] Wed, 03 April 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
When i first hooked up the mono blocks to the speakers, I hooked nothing to the inputs. I thought this would tell me if they had a hum or not. Well they did! and a ton of hum to boot. it was ugly.
now i figure these things are going to be needing some service, but let me try and hear music over all this noise.
hook them up to a source, turn them back on. no hum. a wee bit but you have to put your ear to the driver.
one side was worse than the other also. but i'm in search of an explanation.

while I'm at it. what is the prefered method for changing speakers hooked to an amp?
it MUST be turned off?
it reallt doesnt matter?
no problem as long as you do the left side first?

Bill

depends if your left or right wing.......... [message #35775 is a reply to message #35773] Wed, 03 April 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
us conservatives always change the right speaker first (heheheh).

cheers,
george

Re: Ha! [message #35784 is a reply to message #35775] Wed, 03 April 2002 16:36 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
lets see,
i can be right winged, drink beer with my left hand and smoke a stogy with my right.
shit, how my going to change the remote now......
Previous Topic: Tipping my 4 Pi's up slightly in the front
Next Topic: Ratings of horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 19:48:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout