Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, suggestions for Pi rears/ nearfield monitors.
Wayne, suggestions for Pi rears/ nearfield monitors. [message #35339] Wed, 06 March 2002 12:57 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I need a couple of speakers to go with my ten pi's that I can use for dj monitors at dances/parties and will also dubb as home theatre rear speakers. They don't need to be good with the bass because the dolby rear channels don't do anything below 100 Hz and the baffle step transformation on my ten pi's will provide all needed output from about 150 Hz and below. I'm more worried about the best possible musical detail and quality (and lower distortion) but I don't want to spend tons of money.

Also, whadda ya think I should use for a center channel. If I'm going high effeciency, I might as well do it round and round. Obviously I want to get the best possible vocal and musical reproduction on the center channel. I was thinking about the new magnum drivers from Eminence, but the smallest is a 15". I don't think I need a 15" center channel. I wanted to try that split horn idea I was showing you a while ago, but I can't get the numbers to mesh right so I'm just going to use a direct radiating woofer.

What are your suggestions on any of this? Magnetic shielding is not a problem, by the time I get all this finished up, I'll have a 52" projection or better in my room.

Thanks.

Adam

Two, three or four π speakers [message #35344 is a reply to message #35339] Wed, 06 March 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd use a two π, three π or four π speaker for a center channel. Seems like you made four π Speakers with Kappa 15's, no? Why not use one of those for a center speaker?
Re: Two, three or four π speakers [message #35346 is a reply to message #35344] Wed, 06 March 2002 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think I might buy two Delta 15's and run them in enclosures aligned like that. More money, but oh well. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Adam

Re: Two, three or four π speakers [message #35348 is a reply to message #35346] Wed, 06 March 2002 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There you go; That's a good idea. When you're ready to buy speaker motors, let me know. I'm planning to get my feet real wet and
buy a truck full of speaker components. I'll have a warehouse full of inventory - No kidding - So here in a little bit, I'll be able to make you a good deal.
Re: Two, three or four π speakers [message #35350 is a reply to message #35348] Wed, 06 March 2002 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll let ya know how the room goes. Probably won't start for a while yet. Let me know when you make that mass order of speakers.

Adam

Re: center speaker [message #35351 is a reply to message #35339] Wed, 06 March 2002 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Adam,

I can share a few thoughts of mine for a center channel. I dont feel it has to perfectly match your fronts as far a bass response, but it does need to get lower than most comercial center speakers do and I think the efficiency should match pretty close.

I made my own horn center speaker and its a noticable improvment over a yamaha and a jbl I had used. I wanted to keep mine small so i used 6" woofers, which dont give me quite enough efficiency so the horn is padded a lot. still the whole rig is much better than others i have had. I have an eye out for some higher efficency 6" or i may just switch to an 8".

the horn brings out a lot sounds for the center which is nice to have. Although i'm not a big fan of lpads. I have one on this speaker which lets me tune it a little for each movie. a mono rack EQ mounted into the back of the speaker would be the nuts, but thats another project! perhaps a bit overboard too :)

anyway, the closer you match the better. you should get down to 55-60hz if you can. if speaker size isnt an issue for you, then it wont be a problem, just build a 4 Pi into a TV stand and be done with it!

Bill

Re: Two, three or four π speakers [message #35403 is a reply to message #35350] Sat, 09 March 2002 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Will do.
Re: Two, three or four π speakers [message #35418 is a reply to message #35403] Sun, 10 March 2002 15:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Wayne.

Adam

Previous Topic: 16 ohm woofers with 8 ohm horns
Next Topic: What are you're views on re-coning,re-foaming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 06:18:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio