Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Resistors - Sound Quality
Resistors - Sound Quality [message #34913] Mon, 28 January 2002 11:54 Go to next message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
Besides the Caddock and Arcol resistors, does anyone know much about the following resistors on my webpage? I'm hoping to use these resistors in my Theater 4 Pi speakers, but most people use the regular 10 watt ceramic (rectangle block size) resistors.

Please visit the link below

Re: Resistors - Sound Quality [message #34917 is a reply to message #34913] Mon, 28 January 2002 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I went to Odessa, Ukraine last summer and spent some time in the automobile parts stores and the radio parts stores. I was building transitor ignition systems for guys still running points, and wanted to buy 15A, 250V PNP transistors. The electronics shops had tons of huge resistors that looked just like the green ones you've showed at your site.

I expect they would work just fine. Just be careful of the inductance. Some of them look like wirewound resistors. Run a high frequency through them and see if their impedance changes, to be sure.

Re: Resistors - Sound Quality [message #34921 is a reply to message #34913] Mon, 28 January 2002 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I have used ceramic hollow core's like this. the adjustable ones are pretty neat, and they can be had in some big watts too.
I can not hear the difference between these and non-inductive. i'm sure other people can though.
I'm hoping Wayne will enlighten us on the why's and why nots of non-inductive resitors when he gets time for his next update on the crossover doc.

take care,

Bill

Re: Resistors - Sound Quality [message #34923 is a reply to message #34921] Mon, 28 January 2002 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Non-inductive resistors are preferred simply because they are closer to pure resistance. Wirewound units have a small inductive element. This acts a little bit like a filter, something like a tiny bit of EQ. The truth is that the inductance is so small, you usually can't hear the difference when used in a loudspeaker crossover. But there is a change that the inductance interacts with capacitance in the circuit to oscillate at very high frequency, which can intermodulate and make a grainy sound.
Re: Resistors - Sound Quality [message #34924 is a reply to message #34923] Mon, 28 January 2002 20:05 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi wayne, and thanks!

the way some folks talk about different brands of capacitors and cable, for the very limited testing i've done. I'm DEAF!
ah, but all the fun would be missed.

Previous Topic: web page finally up
Next Topic: high Le vs. low Le woofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 01:29:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers