Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for Till E.
Question for Till E. [message #34643] Fri, 04 January 2002 05:10 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Till,

You earlier mentioned that you did not have the RC network on the woofers of your Theater 4's. You also said that the Paramours were sounding great with the Pi's. On another post you said there was too much bass with the RC network not installed. I was just curious what your latest feeling is? Have you installed the RC network(Zobel) yet and if so what is the sonic result?

My Paramours arrived this week and construction begins this weekend. The Theater 4's are cut and almost ready for assembly. I'm building the Cross-over externally so that is the last to work on and I may try the set up with out the Zobel to cut down on all the reactive clutter on the signal path but I suspect that the zobel is probably going to go in!

Garland

Re: Answer and questions for Garland and Wayne [message #34644 is a reply to message #34643] Fri, 04 January 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I still haven't done the Zobel and yes, with the Paramours the bass seems a little overdone on most recordings. I finally got around to softening and flattening the unbacked veneer so I will do the Zobel when I remove the drivers to veneer the cabinets, probably
Sunday.

I think I will remove the crossover from the cabinet. I don't want the wires coming out the port, though. I could add a second set of binding posts and wire the tweeter to one set, the woofer to the other and then connect the crossover to the respective posts, yes?

I'm guessing that the 8 ohms should be about 3 dB attenuation on the woofer? And I'm wondering why it wouldn't be better to decrease the attenuation on the tweeter? Maybe (certainly) I don't understand the Zobel thing.

It is for certain that there is synergy between the 2A3 tube and the Pi's. So much so that I don't believe it is possible to describe the sound in terms of one component or the other, even though I ran the Pi's for so long with different amplification.

And now with some hours on the tubes I'm getting that blue glow!

Re: Answer and questions for Garland and Wayne [message #34646 is a reply to message #34644] Fri, 04 January 2002 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Till

The zobel doesnt really attenuate the woofer. It will knock the peak off the response so it will be more flat.
If you still think the bass is heavier than you prefer, you could try un-attenuating your tweeter by a db or 2. there was a post a few weeks back about making a switched capacitor to have 2 settings for high end attenuation.

Bill

Re: Answer and questions for Garland and Wayne [message #34647 is a reply to message #34644] Fri, 04 January 2002 15:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A Zobel just removes a peak that would otherwise be there as a result of the interaction between the crossover and the driver. In the four π speaker, the peak occurs around 2kHz if you omit the Zobel. It doesn't have any effect on sound below that and does nothing to the bass.
Previous Topic: Tweaking Eminence Delta 15
Next Topic: Inductor Value for Theater 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 15:12:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout