Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!!
Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34494] Thu, 20 December 2001 10:00 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
LOL!
What I didn't have:
-proper horn lenses for my compression drivers
-money to purchase proper horn lenses for my compression drivers
-wood to build my Kappa Pi's
-no money as of yet to purchase wood for my Kappa Pi's
-a working stereo in my room right now
What I did have:
-card board
-electrical tape
-a spare PSD 2002 and Kappa 15LFA
-an unused 15" box
-assorted crossover parts
-too much free time

Considering it's cardboard, and it's not designed right, the thing sounds pretty good and, well, gets about as loud as it would with a normal lense on it! High frequencies are kinda scratchy, prolly from resonating cardboard? The compression driver needs some major padding down, but meh.... Anyway, just thought somebody would find it amusing. My real Pi's are on the way, no worries... =)

Adam

Re: Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34495 is a reply to message #34494] Thu, 20 December 2001 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Adam,

Good for you and more power to you for having the courage to post the photo. Seriously, I'm about ready to throw something together real quick as well; I've got the drivers, crossover components and a working stereo but no materials to make the cabinets. I have a load of apprehension concerning my wife's reaction when she sees the 9 cubic feet each of Theater 4 Pi's sitting in our living room in a few weeks.
Happy Holidays to you!

Garland

Re: Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34498 is a reply to message #34494] Thu, 20 December 2001 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a lot of fun! Your tweeter looks kind of cool, like a CD. I'm anxious to see your speakers when you get them done!
Re: Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34499 is a reply to message #34498] Thu, 20 December 2001 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I noticed a funny scratching sound that is most evident when electric guitars are playing, I'm really concerned about it. The diaphrams of all four of my compression drivers have been removed since I got them for one reason or another. I'm worried that I didn't properly align the voice coil in the magnetic gap when I re-assembled them. They sound largely okay, but I'm worried about this fuzziness!!! Perhaps it is in fact just my cheapy cardboard horn.

This funny little experiment was a bad reminder of the fact that I am not the most fond of these compression drivers... They're pretty good, but I find they just completely bite my ear off. This might be in the implimentation - the last speakers I built had insufficient padding on the tweeter to match with the woofer, resutling in a really bright speaker... Perhaps when I actaully get the proper network in place to tame these beasts, I'll be more happy.

This time of year ain't the greatest for money... Christmas, various bills due... blah *rips hair out*

Adam

Re: Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34501 is a reply to message #34499] Thu, 20 December 2001 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Before you start second guessing your diaphragms, mount the drivers on a horn and add the right padding/compensation. The mockup you made is pretty cool, but it probably doesn't help the sound, especially without upper-frequency EQ.
Re: Wayne, I proudly present my temporary four Pi Kappas!!! [message #34507 is a reply to message #34495] Fri, 21 December 2001 01:06 Go to previous message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Garland said:
"I have a load of apprehension concerning my wife's reaction when she sees the 9 cubic feet each of Theater 4 Pi's sitting in our living room in a few weeks."

You may not want to "bang together" some quick boxes for your Theatre Four Pi's, especially if they aren't pretty. If your wife is at all like mine, once an image gets into her mind there's no changing it... seeing some big coffins in the livingroom might make her resistant to ANY future creations you want to put there, regardless of what they look like. Trust me, I know... I've tried it with some big black subwoofer boxes I built a few years ago. They now reside in my basement home-theatre room, banished forever from the livingroom. I just hope I can make the Premium Stage Four Pi's pretty enough to allow acceptance in the livingroom. She really doesn't know yet at this point what I'm building. I figure some nice cherry veneer with solid cherry or oak end-caps should help. And they won't be 9 cubic feet each either, just approximately 4.5 cubic feet each (and that's still pretty big compared to the Mission 731's they are replacing).

Merry Christmas,
Colin

P.S. - What am I doing participating in a forum like this at 3am? Well, an on-call network analyst never sleeps!!

Previous Topic: JBL 4344 type lens for theater 4 pi
Next Topic: Premium Stage Four Pi Plans Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 08:26:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout