Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » thoughts on going active
thoughts on going active [message #34315] Mon, 03 December 2001 07:15 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi gang! i've listened to several amps on my 4 pi's, everything from single ended tubes to cheap solid state. nothing can deliver the performance of tubes to my ears yet i want the volume of solid state. i have a set of mission 776/777 amp-pre-amp and also a pair of restored quad II tube monoblocks. after reading an article in audioexpress about the Rane electronic x-over i'm tempted to purchase a used one and run solid state for the bottom and tubes for the top end. the reviewer was impressed with the performance compared to the passive set-up. anybody running active now? do i still need to run a capacitor on tweeter to augment the top octave?

cheers,

george

Re: thoughts on going active [message #34319 is a reply to message #34315] Mon, 03 December 2001 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
When biamping, the best thing to do is to provide top-octave compensation in the active crossover. Many active crossovers have a setting for this. What you want for your tweeter is a curve that looks like this:

Re: thoughts on going active [message #34320 is a reply to message #34315] Mon, 03 December 2001 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi George,

I have few pair of JBL cs3115's (not Pi's as yet!)
Im using a Peavey active crossover http://www.peavey.com/processors/xd234.html
you cant beat a Behringer for the money, and Rane is great stuff though i dont own any. I have read about guys running SS to the bottom and tubes to the top. I'd like to try this myself sometime but I dont have any tube gear yet. "they say" It takes the harshness of the compression drivers and still gives some meat to the bottom.
If you want volume and thunder. I cant come close with passive to what biamp can do. I run 550wpc to the bottom, 300wpc to the mid and 100wpc to the top in a triamp. I was just as happy with biamp and running the mid and top together, and will probably go back to that shortly. for a preamp i use a Mackie mixing board. this is pretty dry and i dont car for it. have to use a BBE sonic, eq, etc. too many things to play with just to listen to a cd. Now I run a CD player direct into the active crossover and this sounds great. plenty of volume.

I have another pair with a passive xo running on 110wpc receiver. this plays pretty stinkin loud and honestly as loud as i need it.
This also sounds better, quality wise. much better presence and i feel like there is a band in front of me.

I dont have the greatest gear for my biamp/active setup so that my be why the Denon sounds better. BUT, If you want to really feel the bass spl, rattle your windows and stress your structure. Biamp is king.
there's no substitute for cubic inches!

Bill

i'll give it a try and let you know (nt) [message #34321 is a reply to message #34319] Tue, 04 December 2001 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
cheers,

george

wayne, more questions [message #34322 is a reply to message #34319] Tue, 04 December 2001 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi wayne, i'm going to try the active route. since the x-over point will be fixed at 1.6k and i need to boost the top octave, do i use a parametric eq or is their a simpler route?

thanks,

george

Re: wayne, more questions [message #34324 is a reply to message #34322] Tue, 04 December 2001 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frode is currently offline  Frode
Baron
Hi!
I already have an active XO and a 5-ch. amp, but I haven't tested it with my Four Pis(2226H/MD2001) yet. Maybe I'll try it when my new Beyma drivers arrive. They are supposed to have very nice HF extention, even without compensation.

If I were going to use active XO with the MD2001, I would probably add a tweeter to help the HF. The tweeter would be high passed where the MD2001 rolled off, and padded down(if needed). This way I could use a very low-powered tubeamp for the very efficient HF-section.I would like to make it clear that I don't have any experience with active XO's, an this is only thoughts I have.

I'll probably end up with a passive solution and a tubeamp with maybe 40-60W. I'm going to try a Kora Jupiter (60W) as soon as my dealer gets it in stock.

Active crossovers and equalization [message #34326 is a reply to message #34322] Tue, 04 December 2001 13:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You won't need an additional parametric equalizer. Just use an active crossover that has CD equalization built-in. The only thing is, you want a curve like shown below. If the EQ is just basically a diagonal line, rising at 6dB/octave but without the flat shelf for the first couple octaves, then the tweeter will sound a bit thin. Pay attention to that when making your decision what crossover to buy and how to set it up.
Previous Topic: surplus eminence & jbl
Next Topic: Dumb Question #1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 11:25:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout