Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New "Systems Descriptions" page
New "Systems Descriptions" page [message #33587] Wed, 25 July 2001 02:16 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A new page has been added to the Pi Speakers website. It's a Systems Description page, and it replaces the older "Available Components" page. This is where a person can get specifications documents for each of the components used in Pi Speakers.

Chris R. wrote to me a few days ago with an improved "Available Components" page. I am very pleased with this new page because it's much more "user friendly." Many people have written me asking what components were used in each system, and my response has been to write descriptions on the forum from time to time. But this new page is a much better solution.

Thanks Chris!

Re: New "Systems Descriptions" page [message #33588 is a reply to message #33587] Wed, 25 July 2001 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne: Yes, Chris did a great job! Having the pictures by each is a tremendous help.

One thing, what is the "Thermionic" series all about? The others are self explanitory.

PSD3003, wrong graph [message #33589 is a reply to message #33588] Wed, 25 July 2001 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
Hey Wayne and Chris,

Very nice page!

Did notice one small thing: the PSD3003 graph looks like the PSD2002 graph. The eminence site has a different graph for the PSD3003.

Hey Paul C., the Thermionic series is for us tube heads (low Zmax for higher output impedance tube amps) "Thermionic valve" is another name for "tube".

Cheers,
Jeff

Oh! TUBES! [message #33590 is a reply to message #33589] Wed, 25 July 2001 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I remember tubes! You could roast weenies on them while you practiced guitar. If things got funny, you wacked the box on the side, and that settled the tubes back in the socket for a better connection. And going to the store and plugging in a hand full of tubes into the tube tester, looking them up on charts. I remember that. Anybody want a bunch of 6V6GT's? I had a pile of them around here somewhere... they were kinda bluish inside.

Hey, want that tube sound? Just turn the treble knob down... duplicates that high end rolloff, er, I mean, "warmth" of tubes.

(Have I made all the tube guys mad yet? LOL! OK, I will try some more.)

And I never did hear that grittiness, graininess that was supposed to be present in CD's.

I hate that crackle from vinyl. If I want snap, crackle, and pop, I will pour a bowl of Rice Krispies. But maybe that is because I don't buy JAPANESE vinyl and play it a belt driven turntable, on the proper tube amp. Of course, the amp is supposed to have bricks stacked on top of it, and rest on a heavy granite (or is that marble?) block.

Come on, guys, can't you take a joke?

Things and stuff [message #33591 is a reply to message #33590] Wed, 25 July 2001 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The "Thermionic" series references the name of the property that makes tubes work, "thermionic emission." The Thermionic Series is a line of speakers that has been specifically designed with tube amps in mind. They are high efficiency designs with minimal impedance fluctuation and bass alignments that are slightly overdamped, which tolerates high output impedance better. Most models of Pi Speakers could be described this way, but the Thermionic Series has speakers with these particular traits maximized.
Re: Things and stuff [message #33592 is a reply to message #33591] Wed, 25 July 2001 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks, Wayne. Of course, I understand fitting the spkrs to the requirements of tube amps.

Pardon me for poking fun at some of our high end friends. I can't help it... bricks on amps, gimme a break.

But I hear similar silliness, on Sax On The Web, where I am a columnist... "Paul, can you describe the difference in tone between a silver plated ligature and a gold plated one? Will the gold plated ligature give me a warmer tone?" (For non woodwind players... a ligature is that little part that holds a reed on a mouthpiece on the sax or clarinet)

So, I have trouble with terms like "warmth" or "sheen" or "gritty"... things we can't measure and I can't hear. Some of it is to convice guys to buy a new widget at a very high price. Personally, I like stuff that is measurably and audibly superior. And glitzy and pricey are not necessarily better. If I am going to lay out the long green, I want performance for my money.

Now I do understand that tubes, and the output transformers, have distortion characterists that differ from solid state in very audible and measurable ways. Guitarists depend on this "mellow tube distortion" as part of their sound. And I can understand guys using them for hi fi listening.

I just never figured out the granite block and bricks. Are imported Italian bricks better for listening to Opera on Japanese vinyl? LOL! We have to laugh at ourselves at times.

My brother and I are both in the planning stage of some serious thunderboomers. He asked me, will we survive when our wives figure out what we are doing? This from a cat with 8 midrange motors on each side... don't know about my wife, but YOUR wife is gonna kill you.

Ha! [message #33593 is a reply to message #33592] Wed, 25 July 2001 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Here are some gadgets I know you'll enjoy:
Re: New "Systems Descriptions" page [message #33598 is a reply to message #33587] Wed, 25 July 2001 23:44 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
The page looks great!
Previous Topic: Are reconed drivers as good as the original?
Next Topic: Thanks for the kudos on the web page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 01:26:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout