Home » Audio » General » Thoughts
Re: Piffle [message #2888 is a reply to message #2874] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We have old time radio around ehre that I think public radio
gets on satellite feed. So I'm hearing the radio
shows I was not old enough to hear but remember the tv show
from real time.

There are discussions about lots of things on the net... more
piffle than is conceivable. I picked a topic like this that I have a basic interest in not so much because I can do a lot of building
but because I have an interest in the design process-- as art
and creativity. Sort of like kustom kars or motorcycles. These
last two are 'guy things' I have no personal experience with at all.
But the low rider thing fascinates me as an artistic expression.

Something similar in the way of a group build is being done
on the Full Range Driver forum with a cnc operator using the
designs of an audio engineer.

Women would like this stuff more if you took out of context
and put it on display in an art gallery. I sort of had this
experience at a show at the Calatrava-designed new space for
the Milwaukee Art Museum. We saw a display of craftsman projects
in wood and at that point I could expound on the work of
James Krenov and sound like a big shot.

Re: Piffle [message #2889 is a reply to message #2885] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think you are being to hard on yourself; your hearing is mostlikely fine. Just because a guy builds something and then puts up a website doesn't neccessarily mean he knows anything. I wrote a half dozen posts on SD speakers a while back because there was a small gathering here of guys who follow that line of speaker. They do some things great and some not so great. I am not a huge fan; not because they don't sound good on some recordings but because I feel they are very specific to a certain type of music. On that music they sound wonderfull. But you got to like that music enough to play it exclusively.

So Why does it mean that because you are not hearing out to 18k you can't tell what sounds good? It may just be that what sounds good will sound good to everyone regardless of what their hearing is physically capable of.

Re: Piffle [message #2890 is a reply to message #2885] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Well I'm probably tone deaf as well as flat footed. When someone feels compelled to add a suffix to their name in conversation I tend to go find someone else to talk to. By that I mean when someone tells you in informal conversation they are an audiophile, PHD, MD or any other combintaion of letters my ego detecting meter pegs out and it's time to find another conversation. To me it's about music. It either sounds good or bad. If bad then all I want to do is make it sound better. Some of my best musical memories come from listening to a AM radio that I had added another speaker to. I knew then it wasn't the quality of my friends stereo but it didn't stop me from deriving hours of enjoyment from it. I haven't changed since then. I can appreciate a really good system and all the latest technological improvements but I'm still content with what I have. The only thing I've added is a cd &dvd player. They say ignorance is bliss. Maybe that's why I'm happy with what I have.

Re: Piffle [message #2891 is a reply to message #2889] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I very well may be able to hear out to those higher frequencies...
my guess is that I can but it's just a guess.

What are those ringing sounds that computer processors make?
I can't keep a tube here because I will hear it _going_ all
the time. And more than I few folks are insufferable to
listen to on the talk radio-- things I never used to listen
to but now that streaming audio is available I have been able to find
more quality discussion

OTOH I can listen to a table radio and be, you know, _happy_
if something good is playing.

Re: Piffle [message #2892 is a reply to message #2887] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Yours are the B model. In the A's the vent is around the ends of the horn. Which isn't as efficient as the vents on yours.

You have to take what I say with a dose of salt. I've had mine since 1966. I always wanted a pair of model 19's until I talked to a man who has lots of Altec speakers and he said "keep the Vals. They sound better than 19's" Maybe he's right I don't know.

If you like the sound of them than none of the newer tower looking things can compare sound wise. They'll be more "accurate" for sure but not anywhere near as musical. I did dampen my horns with automotive dampening material so I can run the attenuation knobs closer to null

This is not to offend any of the speaker builders here. I'm just relating what I like and it doen't make a pinch of difference in the overall scheme of things.

Re: Piffle [message #2893 is a reply to message #2890] Sun, 26 March 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes,

Somewhat related is the fact that I started to follow the
building forums closely (after having done kits previously
over a period of 20-30 years) was because I was looking for
low poer designs that would make the digital music I had
found (concert jazz band and and other things) sound...
_adequate_ over what is is normally sold as computer speakers.
I've never owned any computer speakers. I build from scratch
so I followed the directions for hooking up the sound card
to a small receiver I had which was a Nakamichi at the time.
The Nak was very small and had it;s own set of mini 2 way
speakers which-- like all 2 way minispeakers-- weren't much
count.

The first advice I got with this arrangement was to
cut out the backs of the minis-- something that wouldn't
occur to me. Talk about the Fostex line was going pretty
well then as it still does and Madisound is not very far away
for shipping so I got a pair of FE127e's. My first mod was
dropping in the Fostex to the mini cabs with the backs cut off.
A happy coincidence was that I could put the fronts back on
and the molded plastic formed a wave guide for the single
Fostex on the box. I used a cork to plug up the port
and left the 25 cent tweeter in there for seal. That
setup lasted me quite while.

Re: Piffle [message #2894 is a reply to message #2893] Sun, 26 March 2006 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; this was a nice conversation. Very enjoyable to speak with all of you. Nice group.

Re: Yep; if it's something you like then it sounds good on anything. Nice conversation to all. [message #2895 is a reply to message #2891] Sun, 26 March 2006 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
NT

One last Piffle [message #2896 is a reply to message #2891] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I've enjoyed the conversation also. Anybody remember the comics you got when you bought a pair of Buster Brown shoes? One was Mary Jane and her adventures with Sniffles the mouse. To become small she would chant "Poof, poof piffles, make me as small as Sniffles." So there you have it. The ultimate use of piffle Remember this? "Hi, I'm Buster Brown. I live in a shoe. That's my dog Tyge, he lives in there too."

Re: Piffle [message #2897 is a reply to message #2892] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; They are rolled off on the frequency extreme's and a little sharp on the highs but they do the thing; make music. Not a lot of speakers do that well. I have all the parts for a Model 19; I had thought to someday build one, I wonder if it is worth it.
Say; whats growing in those fields?

Previous Topic: Funny Life
Next Topic: Metallic glass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 23:20:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers