Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Terminating balanced lines
Terminating balanced lines [message #28356] Sun, 21 December 2003 10:15 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have an amp that has screw terminal balanced inputs. The XO that will be driving it has XLR outputs.

I can cut a balanced cable and terminate the individual conductors under the screws, but that's a really awful connection mechanically, hanging on three pieces of 24G wire.

How would an experienced person handle this?

TIA

Re: Terminating balanced lines [message #28357 is a reply to message #28356] Mon, 22 December 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We just use heatshrink and slide-on terminals, there the kind you crimp onto the wire, and the clamp part of the terminal grips the insulation.

Bill W.

Re: Terminating balanced lines [message #28358 is a reply to message #28357] Fri, 02 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Bill!

Are you coming to the next Great Plains Audio Club meeting? It's at Akhilesh's house on the 10th at 2:00pm.

Also, I meant to ask you on our last exchange of posts what speakers and amps you're running: Do you do rent out local gigs for bands and dances?

Wayne

Re: Terminating balanced lines [message #28369 is a reply to message #28356] Fri, 02 July 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martinleewin is currently offline  martinleewin
Chancellor
The weak link, mechanically, is where the small wires can flex near the termination. I would solve it by soldering barrier terminal block style jumpers (inverted seagull shape) to a copper PC board. Drill holes for the wires to be soldered and larger holes to strap the cable jacket to the board. Then cut and peel (or etch if you are that handy) away the copper in between the conductors.
If the screw terminals are in a line the screwed jumpers can hang off one edge of the board. A window in the middle of the board would be needed with a triangle screw pattern and is stronger in either case with terminals coming in from two sides to resist flexing. Adjacent connectors on the chassis might limit outer dimensions of our windowed termination board. I dunno how much room you have to work with.
You could even solder a right angle PC mount XLR connector instead of wires and tie wraps for a really professional job.
Good luck and keep those wires from dangling,
Martin W.

Re: Terminating balanced lines [message #28371 is a reply to message #28356] Fri, 27 August 2004 03:27 Go to previous message
Murdy is currently offline  Murdy
Esquire
Can't you brace the wires some way? Use spade lugs and a jacket. Should be okay.

Previous Topic: audix microphones room 15
Next Topic: Eric Barbour interview at Synthtopia.com
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 00:30:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout