Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Show tomorrow - need help getting this rig up and running...
Show tomorrow - need help getting this rig up and running... [message #27727] Thu, 02 June 2005 11:03 Go to next message
CHIP ROBERTS is currently offline  CHIP ROBERTS
Esquire
About two months ago I bought:
two JBL M-PRO 415's
two JBL M-PRO 418's
two QSC RMX 2450's (One of these will push the 415's in stereo at 500 watts - at 8 ohms , and the other will push the 418's in stereo at 750 watts - at 4 ohms...)
And a DBX Driverack PA

Since then , I've been too busy either mixing on other house systems or playing (drums) in my band , to even get everything hooked and set up! Now , I've just gotten a call to run sound tomorrow using this rig. So I need to make sure of a few things. This is a post / reply from about two months ago explaining some set-up of my amps and Driverack PA:

Craigv
"To set it up:

Run two XLR cables from your mixer LR outs into the DRPA's LR inputs.

Run two XLR cables from the DRPA LF outputs to the RMX2450 inputs, and a pair of spkr cables, one to each speakon or banana output from that amp to the subs. Set the DIP switch for the HPF to 30Hz, and be sure the amp is set for stereo output with limiting on.

Run two XLR cables from the DRPA MF outputs to the RMX2450 inputs, and again hook up spkr cables to the MP415's. Set the DIP on that amp for 50Hz HPF with limiting on, and stereo output.

ALWAYS TURN THE AMPS ON LAST, AND TURN THEM OFF FIRST.

Power up the mixer, DRPA and then amps. Set the amp attenuator knobs to about -10. Run the DRPA Wizard and use the setting for the speakers you have. There's no setting for the RMX amps, so you'll use the generic default amp. You'll probably have questions about this part of the setup, but it's fairly easy to get the rig running. It is very important that you completely read and understand the DRPA user manual...you can do a lot of damage if you get something wrong, although you sort of have to try to do so. Never shut the DRPA off while the amps are on; it'll send a very loud signal spike that can damage the speakers.

When you have the basic settings done, and the system is actually making some sound, you can then run the RTA with the reference mic and EQ the room. If you want, you can then set up the feedback suppression."

Now , I got all that just fine up till the part using "a generic default amp". Guys have said "Yeah , when you get to that part just go to custom!" , and that's it! Is that it? Shouldn't some button or something be pushed after I "go to custom"?
So my question is what EXACTLY do I do after I arrive at "custom"? What button do I push? What should the display say? I should rotate the dial untill it says what? Then what after that?
I need some step by step , button by button instruction - you know , real "Sesame Street" like - so that even my Wife could do it type instruction. You know , STEP 1- , "OK Chip , once you've arrived at the "custom" display - push the "________" button.
STEP 2 - Now , rotate the dial untill it says "__________".
STEP 3 - You're doing great Chip! Now you just need to push the "_________" button!
STEP 4 - Chip , you're almost there! Now , just rotate the dial untill the display says "_________".
STEP 5 - Now , just push the "_______" button and you're done!"
Yeah , I know , but I really need it laid out that way. I'm used to running powered systems dang it! So if someone could help me get this together I would really appreciate it! I'll even send you some unreleased and rare Spice Girls B-sides! So please , help a brutha out...

Re: Show tomorrow - need help getting this rig up and running... [message #27728 is a reply to message #27727] Fri, 03 June 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I see you posted on the dbx driverack forum. I havn't set up a DRPA but I was going to redirect you over there. Best of luck getting it set up.

Bill W.

Re: Show tomorrow - need help getting this rig up and running... [message #27729 is a reply to message #27728] Fri, 03 June 2005 10:39 Go to previous message
CHIP ROBERTS is currently offline  CHIP ROBERTS
Esquire
Thank you Sir. Not that you'd care or anything , but I'll "hit ya bak" tand let you know how it went...

Previous Topic: Plans for trap box 15 and horn
Next Topic: jtm 45 problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 17:43:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout