Home » Audio » Pro Sound » ohms selector to mono input
ohms selector to mono input [message #27066] Tue, 07 June 2005 12:35 Go to next message
KC is currently offline  KC
Esquire
hey there, I have a Marshall JCM-800 Lead Series head from the 80's (it's actually a 20th anniversary model... but that doesnt matter) and it doesnt have an automatic ohms selector. and on the mono input for my 1960 Lead series cab it says '4ohms' next to it, and then the stereo side says '16 ohms' I believe. On the back panel of the head I get the choice of 4 - 8 - or 16 ohms. If im running mono should I put the specified for ohms? And what is the 8 ohms for if there is no indication it will ever need it? Im sorry if this is a silly question to some of you, but I just dont want to mess around with something as fragile as a vintage amp head and cab. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: ohms selector to mono input [message #27069 is a reply to message #27066] Tue, 07 June 2005 14:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Match the speaker to the amp. Set the amp according to the impedance of the speaker.

You can parallel two speakers to cut impedance in half, or put them in series to double them. This assumes speaker impedance is equal; If not calculate with the following equations:

Series:

ZT = Z1 + Z2 + Z3...

Parallel:

ZT = 1 / (1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + 1/Z3...)

Where:

ZT is total impedance
Z1 is impedance of speaker 1, Z2 is impedance of speaker 2 and so on.

If you use four speakers, all the same impedance, connect two in series and then connect each series pair in parallel. The total impedance will be the same as a single unit. So if you connect four 8Ω speakers this way, the total impedance will be 8Ω.

Previous Topic: Marshall Valvestate 65 wont turn on anymore
Next Topic: friend is building an amp... wants to use guitar and bass head inversly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 10:02:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio