Home » Audio » General » Horn or bandpass?
Horn or bandpass? [message #25489] Fri, 31 October 2008 16:42 Go to next message
Thumper is currently offline  Thumper
Esquire
I am gathering advice from people often about bass in cars. Looking at all types of cabinets: horns, bandpass, isobaric, etc. One question I have is how does a basshorn work in a small car? I understand the horn works by matching the radiation impedance. In a car impedance is very different than outside. It is a pressure zone like a sealed box. Doesn't this make the horn stop behaving like a horn? Would a bandpass box be better in a car?

Re: Horn or bandpass? [message #61885 is a reply to message #25489] Tue, 16 February 2010 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Head_Unit is currently offline  Head_Unit
Esquire
A friend made horns which started under the seat and flared along the floor, exiting around the firewall. This was not some hobbyist fooling around, this was at a several billion dollar automotive company. UNBELIEVABLE bass from little 5" drivers. Horns basically transform the impedance of free air down to something the driver can "grab" better, therefore much more efficiency. A bandpass &/or arrays of multiple woofers get somewhat of that effect, but not as effectively (pun intended Twisted Evil )

Caveat: The folks at DIYAudio.com can tell you about designing the horns, but integrating into the vehicle is completely uncharted territory. You might get better opinions if you tell us about your vehicle and how much space you are willing to give up in what part of it...
Re: Horn or bandpass? [message #61888 is a reply to message #61885] Wed, 17 February 2010 08:47 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We're pretty good at designing horns around here too. Cool

Previous Topic: Auto amplifier
Next Topic: First known digital music recording surfaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 23:44:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio