Home » Audio » General » windshield speakers
windshield speakers [message #25457] Fri, 05 October 2007 00:33 Go to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
I want to take out the front speaker in my car. I have speakers like near my windshield which came with the factory of course, how woul dI get these taken out?

Re: windshield speakers [message #25458 is a reply to message #25457] Fri, 05 October 2007 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It depends on the car. Some models, the grille is just a press fit. Remove it and the speaker is exposed. You can remove it easily with a screwdriver. Other models require getting into the dash.

Re: windshield speakers [message #25459 is a reply to message #25458] Sat, 06 October 2007 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
CAn you replace your windhsield speakers or is it just you having the ability to take them out?

Re: windshield speakers [message #25462 is a reply to message #25459] Mon, 08 October 2007 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can replace them. There are several aftermarket speakers that are designed for specific applications, to fit most makes of cars.

Re: windshield speakers [message #61887 is a reply to message #25457] Tue, 16 February 2010 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Head_Unit is currently offline  Head_Unit
Esquire
Er...you need to tell us the make, year, and model for a start!

If nobody here knows, there might be another forum (car audio or for your car) where they can tell you. Or if you buy from Crutchfield, they'll give you instructions.
Re: windshield speakers [message #62127 is a reply to message #25457] Fri, 19 March 2010 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love4music is currently offline  love4music
Baron
I would love speakers in the windshield or near the windshield. Can I get some put in to the car if I don't already have them? How much would it cost?
Re: windshield speakers [message #62140 is a reply to message #62127] Sat, 20 March 2010 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Well, anything is possible. But cutting new speakers into the dash will not be cheap, and could easily end up with rattles unless the installer is VERY skilled.

What make, model, and year of car is it? How long are you going to keep the car?

What factory speakers are already mounted? (Locations and rough size guesstimate)

Are you wanting a center channel (meaning you would need a processory and amp to feed it)?

And, why do you want to do this? It's not a bad idea, mind you, but I'm wondering what it is about your current sound which you don't like. That might engender other suggestions. For instance, if you complain "the sound all comes from the left side" a time delay processor might help that a lot without cutting the dash.

It's also possible there might be easier tweeter locations than the dash, like the pillars...
Re: windshield speakers [message #62189 is a reply to message #61887] Thu, 25 March 2010 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
Head_Unit wrote on Tue, 16 February 2010 22:24
Or if you buy from Crutchfield, they'll give you instructions.

I have used Crutchfield before but not for this, will they do it for any make/model? Right now I am not looking for this for my car but for the truck and maybe work to get a replacement, things are starting to sound static-y.
Re: windshield speakers [message #62741 is a reply to message #25457] Sun, 16 May 2010 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
Why in the world do they put speakers up by the windshield anyway? With all the stuff they are adding to the dash don't you think they could find a way to fit speakers on the dash? It would make it a lot easier to get to them.
Re: windshield speakers [message #62768 is a reply to message #62741] Tue, 18 May 2010 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
Acoustically, if the speaker is a ways from the windshield, there is cancellation from reflection. If you can get a speaker very near the windshield, it can kinda reduce this.

But more likely, there is just a lot of stuff in the dash like structural components and HVAC ducting, and crash foam padding. So the available space maybe ends up farther towards the windshield.
Previous Topic: Grado Headphones?
Next Topic: EarBud Trouble.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 20:46:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout