Home » Audio » General » '83 Cutlass
'83 Cutlass [message #25295] Tue, 20 January 2004 02:30 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What's available for in-dash installation on an '83 Cutlass? The Monte Carlo and Regal are the same, so any will do. But this one mounts through the smaller rectangular cutout designed for cassette and I'd like to keep it that way. I also have several of the dash plates from later years that mount DIN size CD decks - That's an option but I'd like to keep it original.

I've got about $20K in this ride - All go fast stuff. Big block, aluminum heads, roller cam, B&M transmission, Ford nine-inch differerential with posi, Wilwood disc brakes on all four wheels, and on and on and on. But the sound system is a stock replacement and amp; Nice and new but nothin' special. Any ideas?

Tube car amps [message #25296 is a reply to message #25295] Tue, 20 January 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

This doesn't answer your question but I'll throw it in any way. If I was going to build a car system I would buy a butler tube hybrid amp for around a grand.

If you wanted to go all out, buy a Milbert all tube amp for many thousands. http://www.milbert.com

I thought you might like to know about this being a tube guy.

BTW, Very nice ride!

Take care,

Pete

Re: Tube car amps [message #25297 is a reply to message #25296] Tue, 20 January 2004 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool links - Thanks! What a gass! I'll repost 'em here, if you don't mind.

What a guy really needs is a classic car with all the right modern go-fast stuff and a nastalgic sound system with all the right modern good-sound stuff.

Pretty slick!

Big-Blocks and Headers Rumble

Re: Tube car amps [message #25298 is a reply to message #25297] Thu, 22 January 2004 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
You look too cool Wayne....or....is....that Mel Gibson.(
Re: '83 Cutlass [message #25312 is a reply to message #25295] Fri, 16 July 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy is currently offline  Jeremy
Chancellor
Oh boy. I don't think you need any stereo with that big block V8 under the hood. That's the only music I'd need. Sweet machine!

Re: '83 Cutlass [message #25313 is a reply to message #25312] Fri, 16 July 2004 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks, Jeremy. I've put a lot of work in that ride, and I really enjoy it. I kind of agree with you about the sound too - I love music, but I tend to listen to the engine a lot in this car. The lope of the roller cam is music to my ears.

It has a dual-plane intake with a Holley 830CFM annular discharge carburettor breathing through aluminum heads. Roller lifters ride on a 276 degree, 0.505" lift Comp cam. The exhaust is plumbed with ceramic coated Hooker Headers. The engine is connected to the ground with a B&M Turbo 400 and a Ford nine inch rear end with Moser Engineering axles and limited slip differential. Sway bars, front and rear, with large stiff springs and Bilstein shocks. Wilwood disc brakes on all four 16" Centerline wheels, currently with Bridgestone Potenza RE750 tires. It's kind of a sleeper.

Re: '83 Cutlass [message #25314 is a reply to message #25313] Mon, 19 July 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Sweet. That is an epic sleeper machine-sounds like you put a lot of work into it, and built it right. What sort of rear end ratio do you have in there? Can you drive it on the highway with no OD? Any 1/4 mile times? Can you hook up the rear tires??

I'm still in the "imagining phase" of my carb'd small block chevy into volvo 740 station wagon swap...not sure if it will ever get much further than that, but the idea keeps me entertained.

Re: '83 Cutlass [message #25315 is a reply to message #25314] Mon, 19 July 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I sure have a lot of fun with it. There's no way to connect up on the street though, that's a given. Even with fat tires, if you're on the street, you really aren't going to connect. Slicks can, but those little street tires don't have a prayer.

I run 3.25 gears, and that helps a lot. It also gives me a safe 135 MPH top end, which is about all you'd want to do with that chassis anyway. You gotta be nice with the go pedal, 'cause you'll break loose up to about 60 MPH. If you stomp it at 50 or 55MPH, you'll still break loose. So you have to be nice up to highway speeds, but at least the low gears help some in that respect. It also keeps it streetable, and lets you cruise the highway without being constantly in the redline. Probably helps some on gas too, but I'm afraid that's a losing proposition anyway. You never really consider mileage when you build something like this. It's definitely no economy car, with mileage in the single digits.

Setting up as a quarter-miler, I'd probably choose 4.11 or higher gears and a single plane intake and a cam with longer duration. I'd also choose a lightweight rod and piston so the rod bolts would survive higher RPM. Even the best ARP rod bolts enter the plastic region at about 5200 on a big block Olds with iron rods, so after that, it's just a number of cycles before failure.

I had a larger cam in another big-block Olds I built, and it was still pretty streetable. But I really like a street car setup with a little less gear, especially if it's a big block that can't possibly keep tires under it on the street anyway. The taller gears just make more smoke on the street. So that makes the best cam for me something between 260-280 degrees or so. The combination of the cam and the dual plane intake makes the torque peak broad and full, in the 1500-5000 RPM range. That gives me about 500 HP and 500 ft/lbs of torque, which makes my Cutlass a lot of fun.

Re: '83 Cutlass [message #25316 is a reply to message #25315] Tue, 20 July 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

>You never really consider mileage when you build something like
>this. It's definitely no economy car, with mileage in the single
>digits.

I'm sure you have more than enough time and money in that car so that gas is a negligable cost by this point. Besides, you are getting a lot of entertainment value/gallon. There are 6000lb SUV's out there that don't do much better, milage wise, and I'm quite sure they don't put a big stupid grin on your face when you plant the loud pedal.

>Setting up as a quarter-miler, I'd probably choose 4.11 or higher
>gears and a single plane intake and a cam with longer duration.

Yeah, I figured you had it set up as a street car. Kind of more fun that way, I imagine.

>I'd also choose a lightweight rod and piston so the rod bolts would
>survive higher RPM. Even the best ARP rod bolts enter the plastic
>region at about 5200 on a big block Olds with iron rods, so after that,
>it's just a number of cycles before failure.

Wow. I had no idea it was that tight-kind of frightening really. I always figured the mass of the valvetrain would be the limiting factor. With 500 ft*lb on tap, who needs to spin it that high anyway?

Awesome car, thanks for sharing.

Re: Tube car amps [message #25371 is a reply to message #25297] Fri, 03 June 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
josh is currently offline  josh
Esquire
How much is your amp puching

Previous Topic: The latest FM Tuner Shootout review is up
Next Topic: Why would anyone buy "readi-made"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 17:47:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio