Home » Audio » Measurement » converting active crossover values to passive
converting active crossover values to passive [message #25233] Thu, 01 February 2007 06:45
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi everyone,
Here is the problem:
I have 3 drivers, in a 3-way setup, actively crossed at 24 db slopes.
Suppose I calculate the cutoff frequency & slopes using an speaker management device (BBE ds 48 or behriger speakre management or some such thng) and my ears & instruments tell me that, say the sub needs to be crossed at 80 hz at 24 db slope, and the woofer/mid needs to be crossed at 80HZ at 12 db slope, and the woofer / mid needs to crossed at 1200 hz at 12db slope and the tweeter needs to be crossed at 1200 hz also at 12db slope.
My question is: if I were to build a passive crossover now for this system, using these values, would I just need the impedances of the drivers at these frequencies in order to calculate the LC values of the crossover? Or would I need some other info as well?

Further, If I added a series resistor to attenuate the tweeter, say, would I need to include that in my impedance calculation of the tweeter? Would a simple addition of the resistor & the tweeter impedance at cutoff frequency be OK (even though impedance is a 3-d thing of course).
thanks in advance
-akhilesh

Read Message
Previous Topic: I' m too cheap
Next Topic: Re: Crossover Electronics 101
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 10:58:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio