Home » Audio » Speaker » Stupid line array question number 3
Stupid line array question number 3 [message #23583] Wed, 21 March 2007 18:14 Go to next message
Elvis is currently offline  Elvis
Esquire
I'm assuming that when you wire speakers in series they look like a line with the positive wired to the negative and then the negative wired to the positive etc.

Groups of series and parallel look like a ladder. The bottom of the ladder are the connections to the amp: one positive, and one negative. The rungs are the groups of series wired speakers.

IF my calculations say that I need 2 four speaker groups wired in parallel, then I would have 2 sets of 4 speakers in series. Each of these 2 sets would be the rungs of the ladder.

My stupid question is: is the last rung, one of the two sets of 4 speakers in series, or do the sides of the ladder continue and connect with a solid wire effectively joining the positive and negative wires in one more rung above the speakers which is a solid wire, or does it not really matter?

Elvis

Re: Stupid line array question number 3 [message #23584 is a reply to message #23583] Thu, 22 March 2007 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you need two parallel blocks, and each is connected in series, this is what it would look like:

(+)
|
|
|
(+)------speaker-----(-)
| |
(+)------speaker-----(-)
| |
(+)------speaker-----(-)
| |
(+)------speaker-----(-)
|
|
|
(-)------speaker-----(+)
| |
(-)------speaker-----(+)
| |
(-)------speaker-----(+)
| |
(-)------speaker-----(+)
|
|
|
(-)

Total impedance of the array will be half the impedance of a single driver.

This looks like the opposite of what I'm asking.... [message #23585 is a reply to message #23584] Thu, 22 March 2007 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That looks like two groups each with 4 speakers in parallel, which are connected in series connected in series.

I'd be talking about two groups of 4 speakers which are connected in series, and both of these groups connected in parallel

Re: Stupid line array question number 3 [message #23586 is a reply to message #23583] Thu, 22 March 2007 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
Wire the two 4-speaker series separately; Identically but separately. Each should have a + and - line back to the crossover.

Yes, you could also run a from the + input to the + of each parallel group (and the same for -) but if your confused already, why bother?

Crossover                                                 Crossover              
(-)                                                          (+)
 |                                                            |
(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)  
(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)----(-)speaker(+)

Re: This looks like the opposite of what I'm asking.... [message #23587 is a reply to message #23585] Thu, 22 March 2007 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see. Then connect it like this:
(+)
|
|
-----------
| |
s s
p p
k k
| |
| |
s s
p p
k k
| |
| |
s s
p p
k k
| |
| |
s s
p p
k k
| |
-----------
|
|
(-)

Each speaker is represented by "spk" with the "s" side being positive and the "k" side being negative. The total impedance of the network is double the impedance of a single driver.

thanks [message #23588 is a reply to message #23586] Thu, 22 March 2007 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks

thanks [message #23589 is a reply to message #23587] Thu, 22 March 2007 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks

Re: Stupid line array question number 3 [message #23590 is a reply to message #23583] Fri, 23 March 2007 05:28 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's not a stupid question at all. I've wired several arrays and I still get so confused that I use different color wiring for the positive leads (white), negative leads (black), and the leads that go from one speaker's positive terminal to the next speaker's negative (gray).

See the link below for a wiring diagram of two groups of four drivers each, where the drivers in each group are series-wired, and the two groups are parallel-wired. This scheme results in an overall impedance that's twice the impedance of each individual driver.

Previous Topic: Cogent True to Life/Welborne Labs
Next Topic: Cabs for dual Altec 416 8Bs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 10:33:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout