Home » Audio » Speaker » FredArray II Nearing Completion
FredArray II Nearing Completion [message #22789] Tue, 23 August 2005 13:24 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I sold the FredArrays that were at the GPAF, and soon after began to suffer from separation anxiety syndrome. So I drew up some plans for another pair of FredArrays that address some of the issues I had with the first pair. The new pair uses nine Silver Flute 5.5" midwoofers instead of ten, enabling me to reduce the height from 6' to a more manageable (and a bit more WAF friendly) 64". I also replaced the MCM titanium dome tweeter with the Vifa DX25, which I thought sounded exceptionally good in Wayne's Pi 2 towers. The MCM will not cross over much below 4khz and it requires a complex and expensive third order crossover with a notch filter to tame its resonances. The Vifa will cross over as low as 2khz and sounds fine with a simple first order crossover plus a damping resistor across the terminals. To maintain symmetry with an odd number of woofers I set them in an unbroken array on 6" centers, with the tweeter set alongside the center woofer. This increased the width from 10" for the original FredArray to 12" for the model II. (The 12" side and back panels are economically sized to build each enclosure from one sheet of mdf). Total cost to build them, including enclosure materials, will be about $400.

Pictures at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/753570/1/33234249

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Driver Size Thoughts
Next Topic: further efforts with a developing array....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 12:56:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio