Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex 206 magenet safe distance from tube amp, HELP
Fostex 206 magenet safe distance from tube amp, HELP [message #20826] Thu, 14 April 2005 00:54 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
I know this sounds crazy but I'm designing a 45 liter pair of speakers to mount on the end of my waterbed and.... I want to pirch my M500 mono blocks each on top of each speaker. crazy? The cabinets are going to be made of one inch MDF so with alittle padding uner the amps I'm not very concerned about vibrations, or should I be? But what about the Fostex
206 magenet in the upper part of the cabinet? How strong are they? I probably should have ordered the sheilded version?
As far as the tube amp is concerned, which end of the amp is more sensitive to an external magnetic field? The end with the tubes of the end with the transformers?
I figure that with my current design the magenet of the Fostex fe-206 will be within 8 inches of the MJ300B tubes? Is this a problem?
I could of course buy some Mu metal to place under the amp, but do you think this would be needed? Thanks for your input, Pete

Re: Fostex 206 magenet safe distance from tube amp, HELP [message #20829 is a reply to message #20826] Thu, 14 April 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
i wouldn't worry about speaker magnets affecting amps

Actually that might be an interesting experiment [message #20832 is a reply to message #20829] Fri, 15 April 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would think it's possible to influence the plate current with a magnetic field - after all you can use a magnetic field as an accelerator.

Magnitude and direction are the issues of course, but it might be fun to play with.

Probably a good indicator would be how close you can get the top of the speaker to a computer monitor before you see distortion - if you can touch the monitor with the top of the speaker without a problem then it would seem reasonable to assume you wouldn't be deflecting electrons in the amp's tubes. Not that would harm anything in any event.

Re: Fostex 206 magenet safe distance from tube amp, HELP [message #20835 is a reply to message #20826] Fri, 15 April 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

I doubt it's an issue, I mean I never noticed any audible difference that I could attribute this to when subbing a ferrite magnet motor driver in a tube guitar amp, but adding a 10 ga cold rolled steel (CRS) plate (lots cheaper than Mu metal) between them will solve any potential problems, and if bonded to the top of the cab, increases its rigidity in one of the places where it's most needed.

GM

Re: Actually that might be an interesting experiment [message #20848 is a reply to message #20832] Sun, 17 April 2005 09:38 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
after all you can use a magnetic field as an accelerator

Having worked with several linear accelerators i can vouch for that. However the placement and field strengths are very difficult calculations( sometimes Kentucky windage) to get it working correctly.
Now a vacumme tube based on a linear accelerator might be an interesting app. Then again you would have to step down from around five plus MEV and have shielding due to radiation.
(amp sounded fanstastic, but the listener died due to overexposure)
ron

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottle Head Meeting
Next Topic: Yamaha SP1 - Digital Array for HT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 02:54:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers