Home » Audio » Speaker » Opinions - Eminence Deltalite 10 and 12
Opinions - Eminence Deltalite 10 and 12 [message #16344] Sat, 10 April 2004 11:17 Go to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
I am looking for a high efficiency bass driver for a compact (3-5 cf) 2-way crossed to a horn around 1.5-2 kHz. The Eminence Deltalite drivers model pretty well, with bass down to 40 Hz (-5db) in relatively small cabinets. Seem to have smooth response up to 1.5 kHz, followed by a broad HF peak. Has anyone had any experience with these drivers? Has Eminence been able to meet their T/S specs on these drivers? Some of the Eminence drivers have been characterized as having a 'cardboardy' midrange coloration. Is that true of these?

Regards,

Bob

Re: Opinions - Eminence Deltalite 10 and 12 [message #16351 is a reply to message #16344] Sun, 11 April 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I haven't used these, but I have used PAudio neo woofers, and they worked as advertised. I'd assume the same of the Eminence varieties. They don't work better than traditional ceramic magnet drivers but they are very light weight, so for portable applications are worth looking into.

One thing to be very careful of is not to have any cabinet damping material near the woofer frame, which is a functional heat-sink. Neo is very sensitive to excess heat and will lose it's magnetism if over-heated.

Eminence drivers are primarily musical instrument oriented, so they aren't going to be quite as smooth as some, but that's pretty much the price you pay for any high sensitivity woofer. I haven't found Eminence to be any worse than other MI drivers in this respect.

Re: Opinions - Eminence Deltalite 10 and 12 [message #16352 is a reply to message #16351] Sun, 11 April 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Bill

What do you think of the P.Audio SN series (neo) woofers for the bass and vocal range? At one point I was considering them for use in a second system. Which models did you try? Were you pleased with how they sounded? Did they sound "HiFi"? How is distortion on these things, reasonably clean?

Adrian

PAudio SN8 and SN10 [message #16353 is a reply to message #16352] Sun, 11 April 2004 08:58 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I've used both in prototypes and they perform just about as well as other drivers with similar specs. For pure MI use they aren't as good as the extended range MI drivers from JBL or EV; they are about as good as Eminence. Of course, that doesn't matter much in two way or better systems. I really like the weight reduction of the SN10 compared to an equivalent traditional driver. The advantages of the SN8 aren't as dramatic, as even by cutting driver weight in half you still only save a few pounds. I'd say where weight is an issue that the 12s and 15s would be very nice, but beware that they aren't super high in power handling. In a horn cab that's more or less moot, but it could be problematic in a less efficient box.

Previous Topic: sensitivity question
Next Topic: Now _this_ is sculptural
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 16:58:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout