Home » Audio » Speaker » Spades for Heresy speaker connections
Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15291] Fri, 30 June 2006 21:36 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well I have my Heresy's set up in the living room as best as I can get them positioned without getting CARA(??). So I'm headed off to Wally world to get a spool of Royal Cable. I don't want to change the vintage speaker connectors on the back. I hate changing cosmetic things like that. Not my style. Besides, these aren't going to be getting plugged in and out all the time. So does anyone have some recommendations for some decent spades that will fit in the vintage connector on these?

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15292 is a reply to message #15291] Sat, 01 July 2006 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why use spades at all? Just another connection to muck up the sound. Why not use bare wire? Up here Radio Shack has 50 ft of the top line Monster Cable with pin connectors already terminated; just right for vintage stuff on sale; normally 59$ marked down to 17$. I bought two sets. Have you checked at all in the Shack? It's a phenomenal deal.

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15293 is a reply to message #15292] Sat, 01 July 2006 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Which part number was it? The only thing that bothers me is that I have some 18ga stuff on them now, just bare wire wrapped around the screw, and it just smushes it all over the place. If I go any bigger it's going to be worse I think. The terminals are pretty close together. The spades would have to be at the largest 1/4", and that's an issue too.

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15294 is a reply to message #15291] Sat, 01 July 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
My McIntosh gear has the same problem and I found some nicely made spades that fit the small terminal blocks and you can use bare wire, banana plugs or pins in them. I got them off of E-bay. Made in Hong Kong and I paid about 14.00 for 8 of them.

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15295 is a reply to message #15294] Sat, 01 July 2006 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Like these?

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15296 is a reply to message #15295] Sat, 01 July 2006 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Yep, those be them. They are well made and fit the narrow terminal blocks just fine. I ordered some banana plugs and made my own interconnects.

Re: Spades for Heresy speaker connections [message #15297 is a reply to message #15293] Sun, 02 July 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; thats why they use pin connectors. Here's the smaller part number but they are selling fast;2782751
thats for the 10 ft model; list 29$ I paid 8$. Thats already terminated with pins.
I swapped out Aeon Bi-Wire and it sounds just as good.

Rat Shack cables [message #15298 is a reply to message #15297] Sun, 02 July 2006 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I ran up the road to the local Shack and picked up a set of the 10' pairs. Decent cables I guess. Got the home and am questioning the connections on both the speakers and amp. Neither the speakers or amp have what you would call 5 way connectors. Just a small screw sticking out. I just slid the pins up against the screw and tightened it down on both. But the connections seem kinda weak and I hate to tighten them down anymore for fear of breaking the screws off.

Re: Rat Shack cables [message #15299 is a reply to message #15298] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ohh; I thought you had the old style vintage pin connectors like on the Altecs. The wire is still good sounding so what I would do is just take a pair of snips and cut the pins off. Then twist the ends of the wire tightly and form a hook to run under the screws. For the 8$ it's still a good deal even without the pins; and you can save the pins for when you end up with a standard connection.
I would also clean the screws with contact cleaner first. Thats what I do in that situation and it works good.
If you figure two 10ft sections of Monster Cable at 8$ thats 40c a foot. Still not bad.
Or you could purchase one of the crimp style ring connectors from the shack; that should cost about 50c for a little package. Then crimp the wire into the ring connector and place that under the screw.
The last thing is there are some vendors who sell vintage spades. Cheap. I think AES has them for a couple bucks a set.

Re: Rat Shack cables [message #15300 is a reply to message #15299] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think what I"ll do is just put them back in the package and set it aside for use in another speaker project later on. Have been thinking about some of Jim's dipoles or some the single driver PAWO's that Akhilesh has. I'll just run and get a spool of Royal and try to find some decent ring or spade connectors to terminate with.

Previous Topic: Wharfedale D-60E
Next Topic: FredT -MLTL Bipole speaker impressions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:51:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout