Home » Audio » Speaker » What are these called?
What are these called? [message #14880] Mon, 28 February 2005 22:17 Go to next message
david is currently offline  david
Chancellor
Hey everyone i am a novice when it comes to speaker connections, however our house has these old (early 70's) wharfdale speakers connected to a sunsui sound system.

The cable that connects the speakers to the system is what i need to know. What is the name of the cables that connect the system up?? There are 2 sets of red and black caps that you can unscrew and pull out the little metal wires out??

If any1 can understand what i am saying thanks and also is it possible to change these cables so i can hook the speakers up to my T.V's AV ports?

Re: What are these called? [message #14881 is a reply to message #14880] Tue, 01 March 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>>The cable that connects the speakers to the system is what i need to know.
>>There are 2 sets of red and black caps that you can unscrew and pull out the little metal wires out??

There called speaker cables.

>>What is the name of the cables that connect the system up??

There called interconnects.

Re: What are these called? [message #14882 is a reply to message #14880] Tue, 01 March 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If I understand correctly you would like to disconnect the speakers from the Sansui sound system and hook them to your TV's AV ports. Sorry, that won't work. The AV ports provide a "line-level" signal, which can be connected through interconnects to the input jacks of an AV receiver, but not directly to a pair of speakers. The receiver amplifies the signal to "speaker-level" which can drive a pair of speakers. But if the Sansui sound system has an extra pair of input jacks you could run a pair of interconnects from the TV's audio output jacks to the Sansui system's inputs and use it to amplify the signal and drive the speakers without changing the way they are connected. Hope this makes some sense. (In the link below, look at the photo of the back side of the receiver for the input jacks and speaker terminals).

Re: What are these called? [message #14885 is a reply to message #14880] Sat, 05 March 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david is currently offline  david
Chancellor
Thanks for your help bill and fred

Re: What are these called? [message #15047 is a reply to message #14880] Thu, 30 June 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biz is currently offline  biz
Esquire
gngn

Re: What are these called? [message #15048 is a reply to message #14880] Thu, 30 June 2005 22:09 Go to previous message
carl is currently offline  carl
Esquire
contact me ( we'll talk about it)

i have 2 1958 1967 still working speakers. vintage w60's
carl.........

Previous Topic: War of the Worlds
Next Topic: Any interest in a diy esl project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 10:36:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio