Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
190 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Thu, 06 May 2010 15:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Build my own subs
In some cases, I think that makes sense. But you can't fix everything with signal processing. Setting a delay or making a filter is easy, but some acoustics problems can't be solved that way. Two examples that come to mind are cone breakup and destruc...
2 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:05 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: How Many Speakers For A Home Theater System?
Most home theater systems are for five channel, left/right/center and a pair of surrounds. Some are for seven channels, a left/right surround and a pair in the rear. Either of those configurations are pretty good for home systems, I think, with one spe...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 29 April 2010 14:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Versions and Upgrades
I agree with your assessment of the crossover. The new version (2007) is an incremental improvement over the original, not a night-and-day paradigm shift by any means. The basic design hasn't changed in many years. But having the latest version of the...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 24 March 2010 10:25 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 4 Pi build for HT
I'd love to see NWCgrad's build pics too. As for the internal bracing, yes, of course, if you displace too much internal volume you can affect performance. So the obvious reply is "don't". It is designed to have an internal cross-brace and t...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 16 March 2010 11:31 «» By: Wayne Parham
Baffle Step
In my opinion, baffle step compensation filters can be useful, but only for a fairly limited number of loudspeaker types. I think they are way overused in the DIY community. BSC filters are best suited for little mini-monitor speakers with small baffle...
6 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Fri, 19 February 2010 22:14 «» By: Lancelot
Re: Multiple Subwoofers
I have seen a home theater setup where all the speakers are embedded on the walls. The wall is made up of wood on this home theater room. Do you think embedding multiple subs on the wall would be ok? I have feeling that it might damage the walls because of...
7 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Fri, 19 February 2010 11:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Crawlspaces are a problem because the chamber underneath the floor forms a resonator that can cause peaky response. It will suckout some sub frequencies and leave others very loud. Other than that, if you have a concrete foundation, I'd say the floorin...
8 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 16 February 2010 16:05 «» By: Wayne Parham
I agree in all aspects except the points of asymmetry and number of corner sources. I realize you know my position in this matter but I'll restate just in case other readers don't. There are two schools of thought on this, one championed by Todd Welt...
9 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 16 February 2010 14:34 «» By: Duke
For the record, I'm another advocate of multiple subs. While intuitively it seems like overkill especially in a small room, the reason to go with multiple subs is bass quality, not quantity. The smaller the room, the farther apart the room-induced peak...
10 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 15 February 2010 18:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
Multiple subs are the only way to go in my opinion. It's done more to smooth out room modes than to increase SPL. The idea is to place them around the room in different places so self-interference that is destructive from one sub is filled in by anothe...
Pages (19): [ «    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    »]

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 04:25:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio
Smith & Larson Audio