Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
190 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 11 December 2010 14:06 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Best choice for my set up
I use a phantom center channel. Toe-in so the right and left axes cross just in front of the listeners. Imaging, placement and orientationAbout corner placement - I'm not against putting subs in corners but I'm definitely against putting a single sub...
2 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Tue, 23 November 2010 10:39 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Acoustics and Aesthetics
Use two to four subs in different places in the room for best sound quality. In some rooms, two is enough, especially if the mains provide adequate bass too. The idea is to spread the sound sources around, to smooth room modes. You want multiple sound...
3 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Tue, 23 November 2010 08:21 «» By: Lancelot
This is the best advice but I think this is costly. How many subs would you recommend in order to have a good sound quality? Anyway, I watch movies at night and aesthetics doesn't matter to me anymore because the room is dark.
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 04 November 2010 10:02 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Advice needed for first timers
Honestly, the cabinets are very easy to build and materials aren't expensive, at least in America. The wood that's best to use is MDF, and that doesn't cost much. If the cabinets will be moved a lot or used in humid environments, I'd suggest baltic bir...
5 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Fri, 22 October 2010 12:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Room treatments
Directional speakers will help a lot, as will multiple subs to help smooth room modes. Then again, garages are often pretty lively and they usually aren't built with any attention paid to soundproofing. Stuff tends to vibrate. Myself, I might be tem...
6 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Sat, 02 October 2010 01:21 «» By: Wayne Parham
Speakers with controlled directivity can really help sound quality from 200Hz up, even in troublesome rooms. And multiple subs help smooth room modes, improving sound quality at lower frequencies. So some of the problems room acoustics give us can be a...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 28 June 2010 21:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Upon further investigation..
I think the MTM idea is definitely doable, but I find that the nulls are well spaced using the matched-directivity two-way approach I employ, so I'm not sure the MTM gives anything extra. The whole point of both approaches is vertical control and we hav...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 13 June 2010 16:21 «» By: notben
2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring
Is the crossover for the tower and monitor the same? I ask because I am going to order a pair to build the monitors, but if later I want to build the towers, can I just drop the drivers and the crossover in the new tower cabs? Also, I am going to do a c...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 10 June 2010 09:43 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Box for 3Pi
Well, yes, the response doesn't peak too badly in the smaller box so I suppose you could put the TD12S in a box that size, tuned to ~35Hz. The three π cabinet is quite a bit larger, as you have now seen. So it's definitely going to act differently, mos...
10 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Thu, 03 June 2010 14:42 «» By: badman
Re: Multiple Subwoofers
I agree with what Wayne has said. Multiple subs are a wonderful thing. I'm not sure I agree 100% with the geddes corner-placement scheme, as maximizing modal interaction for the single sub may leave some leftover ripple, but certainly it's a huge improve...
Pages (19): [ «    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18    »]

Current Time: Fri May 31 21:25:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio
Smith & Larson Audio