Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer
LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #49995] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:04 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne,

I'm trying to decide on a subwoofer to complement my Theatre-3 for HT use. Space is tight, so it'll have to be sealed or BR. The Pi-3s alone go plenty low for most music, but they're missing the lowest rumble for HT. I think the Pi-3s are good down to mid-30's in my room, so I'm looking for something to fill in that last octave between 20 and 40.

Your Theatre-3 BR Sub, based on the LAB-12 seems like a logical choice. But I need help getting over its description as "designed for use in pro sound bass horn enclosures". Would this mean I'll be getting compromised performance if I use the LAB-12 in BR or sealed? I would love to hear from people who have used the LAB-12 in BR at home.

Also, what are the main difference between a pro-driver like the LAB-12 vs HT sub drivers like the Titanics or Peerless? I've been very happy in the past few years adapting pro-drivers for home-use in the form of Pi speakers and my JBL system. The advantages of these speakers over "normal home" speakers are apparent in higher sensitivity and power handling. However, the difference between the LAB-12 and "normal" HT sub drivers are not obvious to me.

thx,
Gar.

Re: LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #49998 is a reply to message #49995] Fri, 08 September 2006 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The LAB12 works very well in vented cabinets from 2.0ft3 to 6.0ft3 tuned to 22Hz. It also works well in a large sealed cabinet, particularly with boundary reinforcement. If out in the open, like placed as a coffee table, I'd run vented. If in the corner or near walls, either run an overdamped vented alignment or run sealed.

For home hifi, I prefer the direct radiator subwoofer over the horn. It's smaller and you can tune it lower as a result. A horn run below cutoff is basically an undersized sealed cabinet with a horn that amplifies harmonics. So unless you have a lot of real estate, I prefer the LAB12 in a vented or sealed box for home hifi.

As for comparison with other woofers, most of the really good parts have shorting rings and the LAB12 doesn't. But before writing it off, consider the fact that shoring rings don't really work below 100Hz. Theoretically, one could be made that reduced distortion at very low frequencies, but it's difficult. The ring has to be large, and that takes away from magnet space. From a practical design standpoint, it becomes prohibitively impractical to design a subwoofer with an effective shorting ring. That's why you see other technologies employed, things like differential voice coils and other forms of push-pull drive.

If you really want to make the best small subwoofer you can make, look at implementening a pair of LAB12 or HL10 woofers in push-pull, perhaps driving a bandpass box that attenuates higher frequencies. The push-pull drive will cancel second harmonics, the front chamber will reduce third harmonics and both the push-pull drive and front chamber will reduce fourth harmonics. Above that, the front chamber will remove the higher harmonics.

That's a very similar technique that I used in the 12π horn subwoofer. It uses push-pull drive to cancel second harmonics and the front chamber and horn folds reduce higher harmonics. It's probably too large for home use, and if pushed below cutoff then the horn would amplify harmonics in its passband. But as long as it is used above its 30Hz cutoff, it generates almost no distortion.

No matter what kind of system you run, if you push it below cutoff, distortion will rise. Excursion is lower in the passband than it is below cutoff. This applies to bass-reflex and bandpass systems as well as horns. So system tuning is very important. Don't tune the system for 30Hz cutoff and try and EQ down to 20Hz. If you want to run the subwoofer down to 20Hz, then tune it for 20Hz or below.

LAB-12 Deathbox [message #49999 is a reply to message #49998] Sat, 09 September 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Presley is currently offline  Matt Presley
Chancellor
Wayne, its interesting that you mention using a bandpass box design. I wonder how 2 LAB 12s in clamshell would do in a Decware 12 inch Deathbox. I've actually had the HL 10C on my mind lately in either a 10 inch deathbox I have in my attic or in a 1ft3 vented box tuned to 30hz for a car application. But what you say really makes me wonder about the LAB 12 Deathbox in a home setting. -Matt

Calculated BP for LAB 12 [message #50000 is a reply to message #49998] Sat, 09 September 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I just threw LAB 12's data into liniarteams calculator. An optium 4th order BP design gives 49 liters for back, 35 liters for front ( giving a total internal volume at about 3 cu.ft.), tuned at 41 Hz. -3 dB would be ~25 and 70 Hz. I use a BP of almost similar size, and I'm very satisfied with it - mine 'only' have a 10" Peerless unit, but is more than enough for my needs. I haven't ever even come close to playing it at the loudest...

Re: LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #50002 is a reply to message #49998] Sat, 09 September 2006 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Hartman is currently offline  Russell Hartman
Esquire
WAYNE,
WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE PLANS FOR THAT PUSH/PULL SUB USING THE HL 10S, IF NOT COULD YOU DIRECT ME TO THEM?
THANKS RUSS

Re: LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #50003 is a reply to message #50002] Sat, 09 September 2006 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, sorry, you're on your own there. The loudspeaker designs I've done use the LAB12. I've considered doing a basshorn design using a pair of HL10 woofers, but haven't done any work on it yet.

Re: LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #50005 is a reply to message #49998] Mon, 11 September 2006 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback. I've never considered a push-pull design because of driver cost. However, after stumbling on this driver on Partsexpress (see link below), it seems quite affordable. According to the specs, it looks like a light version of the Lab-12. It models almost exactly like a Lab-12. Probably made by Eminence. Wayne, any thoughts on this driver?

Also, can you provide me with more background on designing a push-pull sub, or point me to some links. Googling has turned up very little.

Would cabinet size be double that of a single driver box? If so, that would make the cabinet 6 to 7 cu ft, and far too big for most home use.

What about driver mounting? I don't think I want to see the back of a driver sticking out of the front baffle. Can drivers be mounted front baffle/ back baffle?

thx,
Gar.

Re: LAB-12 as HT Subwoofer [message #50009 is a reply to message #50005] Mon, 11 September 2006 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I have no experience with that driver. It does look like it was made by Eminence, probably an OEM made to customer specs. I imagine it was made as a car audio woofer, which is where the LAB12 has its roots.

As for information about push-pull drive, see the post called "Push-pull verses shorting rings". It has links to several posts, some containing links to outside information sources and test data as well.

Why BP? [message #50018 is a reply to message #50000] Tue, 12 September 2006 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What would be the value of using a bandpass design vs the active XO from the plate amp or HT receiver?

gar.

Re: Why BP? [message #50019 is a reply to message #50018] Tue, 12 September 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The front chamber of a bandpass (or folded horn) acoustically attenuates HF, which serves to reduce harmonic distortion. The distortion products are generated by the speaker, not the components upstream, so reducing HF in the signal presented to the speaker will not reduce harmonic distortion.

Previous Topic: Professional Four Questions
Next Topic: OK so this is what I'll do (JBL + Altec)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:13:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio