Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » ManualBlock; my back is killing me!
ManualBlock; my back is killing me! [message #49235] Sat, 01 April 2006 17:49 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You're answer to my post about returning to sandboxes forced me to try spikes. On the sandboxes. There's 80 lbs of sand in each box and the speakers weigh 120. OY!
But emptying, drilling for inserts and hanger bolts and then re-filling was worth it.
Never thought I'd say 2226's are "lean-sounding". There's less bass but the hump at 70'ish Hz is gone and the box vibration around 100+ likewise disappeared.
Where's the Motrin?

Re: ManualBlock; my back is killing me! [message #49236 is a reply to message #49235] Sat, 01 April 2006 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I've heard the bark of the Gingko tree kills all pain.
So; whats the consensus? Let me get this straight; you put the spikes underneath the sandboxe's? And it's a sprung floor?
Are you sure you are hearing less bass?
Never let anyone say you are not dedicated.

Re: Major tonal changes from these back-breaking tweaks [message #49239 is a reply to message #49235] Sun, 02 April 2006 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The sound is definitely leaner; zero bass boom.

Here's what's interesting: although String Bass has receded into the background more and there is less sense of the harmonics, Cymbals and drums display much more sense of the initial "hit". More "metallic" in the case of the cymbals and the air of the kick drum is felt much more in the chest. The decay of percussion and pizzicato strings seems to contain less "hang" in the room.

There is a marked difference in the treble end of the leaner sound, too. Familiar voices sound, errr....less familiar. DK's voice on Stepping Out has a lighter quality than I'm used to but Love Scenes sounds much the same.

I'm trying to make the system more of a reviewers tool. Making small changes in set-up more transparent. The spiked boxes are best at that but I enjoyed listening to the boxes-on-the-floor, more.

So now on to the next experimental set-ups: removing the sandboxes so the speakers are flat on the rug and then spiked to the floor.

I'll let you know where to send the "get well soon" card.

In case anyone is wondering why all the effort, it follows logically from, A)having done the room treatments and what that revealed, and, B) my new gig as a reviewer for the audio E-zine Dagogo.com. Not only do I get to audition gear at home but in reaching for a higher quality speaker system I have so far succeeded in acheiving the best sound I have yet heard from my gear. Between the sound panels, bass traps, spikes/sandboxes and crossover tweaks I am now able to listen at "realistic" levels with absolutely no mid-range congestion, treble harshness or boom-booms.

Re: Major tonal changes from these back-breaking tweaks [message #49240 is a reply to message #49239] Sun, 02 April 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You should have put that site up a while ago. Remmember; Back straight; bend at the knees..Bend at the knees.
( Don't sell out; keep it real.)

So; do the sandbox's de-couple the speaks from the envireonment?

Neoprene Foam Rubber [message #49241 is a reply to message #49240] Sun, 02 April 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi,
I always (also) found this 1/2" Neoprene Foam Rubber a good de-coupling work from the examples on the net.
Take care.

(Congrats to James Wiggins that is the author).

Re: ManualBlock; my back is killing me! [message #49242 is a reply to message #49235] Sun, 02 April 2006 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Bill, I've seen many of your postings here. Can you describe your current system please?

Thanks,
Jim D

Enjoying my concrete slab floors! [message #49243 is a reply to message #49236] Sun, 02 April 2006 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Don't have that "suspended floor" problems!

Ron

Re: Enjoying my concrete slab floors! [message #49244 is a reply to message #49243] Sun, 02 April 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; but you get "reflected energy." Yet; it provides excellent "Mass Loading", I'm so confused.

Carpeted concrete slab floors [message #49245 is a reply to message #49244] Sun, 02 April 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually I consider room treatment as critical. Not just the floors, but the walls and ceiling also.

Ron

Re: Carpeted concrete slab floors [message #49246 is a reply to message #49245] Sun, 02 April 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I know; my system always sounded great in a padded cell... or maybe that was the music in my head?...
Seriously; I agree. Software/room/speakers/source components/ everything else.

Previous Topic: Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last
Next Topic: Top port?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:53:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout