Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tweeter review
tweeter review [message #48353] Mon, 05 December 2005 07:22 Go to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy Wayne .speaking of the original 2Pi tweeter Im confuse because I read good opinions here in this forum but Mr. Colin Flood in his review of the 2 pi on enjoythemusic .com on the april 2003 give very hard results..What do you think of this review.

Re: tweeter review [message #48354 is a reply to message #48353] Mon, 05 December 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Colin Flood seemed like a nice guy to talk to on the telephone, but I think his ability to review was highly compromised. I don't know why that was, maybe he was too busy or had lots of things to deal with at the time, but I do know that he was unable to perform a review, and probably should not have done one. I also think that Steven Rochlin probably should have had more quality control, and should have evaluated his reviewers abilities before allowing them to take equipment and write reviews. He should not print a review until he knows that the reviewer and conditions for evaluation are appropriate. But then again, this was years ago, so maybe things over there have changed since then. They all seemed like pretty good guys.

To be specific, I don't think Colin ever listened to the speakers. He had them for a very long time, about six months. I finally had to ask that they be returned, because I planned to use them at the Midwest Audiofest. So he hurriedly "reviewed" them and wrote something up. I think Colin simply made up his review, using comments I had written in E-Mails and telephone conversations, then throwing in a few of his own. The price he quoted wasn't even right, I don't know where he came up with the number he chose to print.

When I received the speakers back, they were not packaged properly and were damaged badly. It was evident that Colin was in a big hurry and that he did everything at the last minute, even after having the speakers for six months. So I think the review was a hastily done thing, and it was probably written on the assumption that an inexpensive piezo tweeter would not perform well. It's a mute point since the tweeter has been discontinued and the speakers based on it are no longer available, having been superceded by a model with another tweeter. But still, the "review" was done at a time when the model was current, and the speakers were probably never even connected to an amplifier, let alone given any time for the listener to evaluate.

Colin probably heard somewhere that piezoelectric tweeters were cheap, so he decided to write that tweeter performance was mediocre. Piezo tweeters are cheap, but they were being used in an entry level speaker. While the newer models with the Vifa tweeter are more refined and "audiophile" sounding, I think the early models with the KSN1038 tweeter sounded great.

I don't think it's appropriate to write a review based on assumptions, hearsay and bits and pieces of E-Mails. I think it was pretty bad to fiddle around for six months, and then to throw together a last minute review. If Colin didn't have time to properly review the speaker, it should have been delayed or deferred to someone else. Sorry if that offends Colin or Steven or any of the other folks at EnjoyTheMusic.com, but that's what I think.

Re: tweeter review [message #48360 is a reply to message #48353] Tue, 06 December 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

I've noticed you contributing on Bill Fitzmaurices forum and see you over here a lot.

I've got the Pi 7's which I'm very pleased with and I'm working on a modified David from Bills site now which I haven't got the bass horn finished for yet.(hopefully I'll get some time soon).

I was wondering what speakers you have built so far, and what you like best?

Grant.

Re: tweeter review [message #48361 is a reply to message #48360] Tue, 06 December 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Reply with pleasure Mr.Grant .So that I have a few months in this great hobby of diy speakers I have several design 4 of Bill's (1) autotuba waiting driver(2) tlahs semi-finished (3) T24 stage assamble (4) Adire free design only drivers as a Tuba 36 usambledd with a magnum 15 LF specs driver the kilomax and a build me if you can DR250 .Regarding to the Wayne designs nope still.. just today bougth the alpha 12 and the psd 2002 but Im changing my mind to g0 15 inch alpha .

Re: tweeter review [message #48364 is a reply to message #48361] Wed, 07 December 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

You've got more energy than me j.luis. It sounds like a house full of sound in a little while.

Thanks for the reply.

Grant.

Re: tweeter review [message #48365 is a reply to message #48364] Wed, 07 December 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hy. Grant ..not nececaeily because as I said several plans at present are at step two (wood cut)unfortunately I live south bourder if my house were in the USA mainland I could get the drivers sure and fast like the rest of yours.

Re: tweeter review [message #48366 is a reply to message #48365] Wed, 07 December 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

I live north of U.S.

We get drivers faster. Snow gets here faster too.

I'd trade you the sunshine for the drivers now. By February I'd send you a pair for some sun :-).

Have a good night.

Grant.

Re: tweeter review [message #48367 is a reply to message #48360] Wed, 07 December 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Wayne's recommending Pi7's to me. Tell me about yours. I have the physical space in my room for them. The construction looks pretty straightforward, how do they sound? (Not doubting you Wayne, I'd just like a little more feedback from a happy user)

Leland

Re: tweeter review [message #48375 is a reply to message #48367] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

Hi Leland.

Like all speakers they are dependant on the drivers that are in them. Wayne offers a lot of options, and you can choose your own if you want as well. I've never heard the JBL option, but I'd bet it's great.

When I started mine were a 2 way set up with Emminence Delta 15's and the PSD2002's in them. I didn't like the sound of them after visiting Lima for the Midwest Audiofest. They weren't as clear as I wanted.

Since then I have changed to 3 way with a Klipsch K-43 15 inch in the low end, a 6.5 inch PHL 1660 for midrange, and the PSD2002 up top. I've got a Bedini preamp that allows me to biamp with an Audcom EL34 tube amp for the mids, and an old Luxman handling lows and highs. The crossovers aren't anything special and the speaker wire isn't audiophile either. In short, not exactly huge budget. In the end I would have been ahead to just upgrade to a higher quality kit of Waynes but it's been fun to play and I would have missed playing if I just bought a kit.

My favorite listening time is at night with the lights out. The sound is clear, it doesn't take a lot of amp at all, and there are so many things I hear that I don't hear through other sound sources I listen to (eg. in the car, radio at work). The sound stage isn't as good as with headphones but is quite good. With these speakers I understand how a standing wave can flatten a wall and how ultrasound can break up blood clots.

I've been in local sound shops when they are demoing speakers. Walk in on a bookshelf demo after listening to the corner horns. Good for background noise, but they have no impact.

I wouldn't use the Pi 7's in a small room or in an apartment although some people might disagree with me (anyone with a reasonably small room feel free to chime in here). The Pi 7's are definitley a pleasure to listen to.

Grant.

Re: tweeter review [message #48376 is a reply to message #48375] Thu, 08 December 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Thanks Grant. My listening room measures 18x13 with 12 ft ceilings, and the corner placement should put me in a sweet spot when I'm on the pc. My intention is one of Wayne's speaker kits, I'll do the box. After fitz's braintwisting boxes, the Pi7's look pretty easy. But my EE skills are way too rusty to design crossovers for some other drivers, and I trust Wayne's judgment on them. He's the EE, not me. Except for the pro audio stuff I've been doing on fitzmaurice, my audio jones has been dormant for quite a while.

One of the things I find really important to me is imaging. My old EPI's are very good at it, but lack the impact you describe. I want to dig out my old vinyl and listen like I used to. Neighbors calling, dogs barking, but this time with really fine gear. They'll be the first step in rebuilding a system after 18yrs of kids, house, and other priorities.

Ready for flames here, I think the audiophile grade cable stuff is mostly bs and mirrors. Nobody needs to spend 1k on wire. Buy good quality, but be real. They're hearing it because they want to.

Previous Topic: Stage Four pi 18"
Next Topic: OT: DIY Surround Processor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:54:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout