Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Thermonic 3Pi Plans
Thermonic 3Pi Plans [message #48292] Wed, 23 November 2005 14:44 Go to next message
Derek is currently offline  Derek
Chancellor
Hello,

I am torn between the 2 Pi Towers and possibly the Theater 3 Pi for use with a 300b single ended amp ... but perhaps I should include the Thermonic 3 Pi into the equation also!

So would you be so kind as to send me the plans for the Thermonic 3 Pi please.

Of the three, which in your opinion is the better choice for a 300b ( or possibly 2A3) amplifier in a small room and listened to at a distance of approx 8ft.

Are the horns prone to beaming at such close quarters, or do they require more space around them.

Many thnaks in advance Wayne,

Regards

derek

Re: Thermonic 3Pi Plans [message #48295 is a reply to message #48292] Wed, 23 November 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like all three. If you were running a solid state amp, I could nail this down a bit more but with tube amps, there is more difference between amps. So the best thing to do would be to hear all three and decide for yourself.

With a pretty constant voltage source, I'd probably take the Theater three π speaker for most larger rooms and the two π tower for smaller rooms. That's mainly because the Theater three π speaker is more capable of high SPL. But running a tube amp, that isn't a consideration, whereas the impedance curve might be. The tower two π has less impedance fluctuation, and it really sounds good.

The Thermionic three π has its advantages too. It has a pretty benign impedance curve, which makes it tend to sound good on low power SET amps that might have trouble pushing the bass on other speakers. It also has a slightly underdamped alignment, which makes it provide useful bass response even when power levels are low and/or no boundary reinforcement is possible. This is a good speaker for use with amps like the Zen or in open spaces out away from walls and other boundaries.

Please tell me your E-Mail address and I'll send you the plans.
Thanks and my mail address is..... [message #48297 is a reply to message #48295] Wed, 23 November 2005 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derek is currently offline  Derek
Chancellor
Wanye,

many thanks for the comprehensive reply. yes, please if you could send me the plans I would be greatfull. ... my email address is as above - sorry I forgot it the last time!!

once again - thanks

Derek

On the topic of impedance ... [message #48298 is a reply to message #48295] Wed, 23 November 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
I recently asked about the impedance characteristics of the various 4 Pi speakers, and their suitability for my 2A3 SET amps, but you did not respond. Could you provide some input regarding impedance of the 4 Pi's?

Thanks,

Jim D

Re: On the topic of impedance ... [message #48301 is a reply to message #48298] Thu, 24 November 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I can't imagine that I would have overlooked a question about impedance, but I've been very busy and maybe I forgot. There have been several discussions about this in the past, so the archives are rich with information about it. But in a nutshell, the Theater four π has the flattest impedance curve, followed by the Professional Series four π and then the Stage four π. As for the amp, it depends a lot on the output circuit, not just the tube. Some 2A3 amps will drive any model of π Speaker without problems, others are more sensitive to the load.

You've got mail! [message #48302 is a reply to message #48297] Thu, 24 November 2005 09:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Club meeting pics - November 19, 2005
Next Topic: Thermonic 3Pi Plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:14:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers