Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I am a new visitor to this forum
I am a new visitor to this forum [message #47926] Sun, 09 October 2005 22:19 Go to next message
Rajeev is currently offline  Rajeev
Chancellor
Hello,
I am a new visitor to this forum , please could anybody update me reg what all goes on here ,
I read about the 12pi in PSW forum and would like to know more , what are the outside dimentions of the complete horn and what size drivers are used etc etc , are there any pi design tops for these too ??
Cheers

Rajeev

12π basshorn subwoofer [message #47927 is a reply to message #47926] Mon, 10 October 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 12π basshorn subwoofer is 45" x 45" x 28", which fits nicely in semi trucks. The size and shape of the horn is optimized for accurate response, not just to be loud. Because of this, it doesn't require six to eight horns to deliver good response outdoors like some basshorns.

The 12π basshorn uses a pair of LAB12's having push-pull drive which reduces harmonic distortion. Second harmonics are cancelled with this arrangement, third harmonics are attenuated by horn folds and fourth harmonics are reduced by both push-pull cancellation and horn fold attenuation. This use of horn folding and push-pull drive reduces all types of distortion, not just those resulting from electro-magnetic causes. The net result is that distortion is very low, reduced more than any other system.

The 12π basshorn also has a heat exchanger which reduces thermal compression and parameter drift. This increases efficiency and makes the response curve more consistent at moderate and high power levels. It also makes the horn more durable by reducing motor temperatures and increasing power handling over 225%.

As you've probably seen, the 12π basshorn subwoofer will be at the Prosound Shootout this Friday.

Re: I am a new visitor to this forum [message #47929 is a reply to message #47926] Mon, 10 October 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
**Benvenuto**

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer [message #47942 is a reply to message #47927] Mon, 10 October 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajeev is currently offline  Rajeev
Chancellor
Wow , I am waiting for fridays reports,
Thanks for the reply and the e-mail , now I will be in touch,
Rajeev

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer [message #48043 is a reply to message #47942] Thu, 20 October 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The results are in:

I was very pleased with the performance of the 12π basshorn subwoofer. I expected it to do well, but from everything I've seen, it appears to be the most powerful commercially available subwoofer on the market. So I am really excited about that. The frequency response was exactly as expected, and the push-pull configuration provides improved distortion reduction, particularly at very low frequencies where the horn is no longer able to reduce driver excursion.

The heat exchanger performed very well. Notice how the response curve of the 12π basshorn looks exactly the same at all power levels. We ran tests well beyond the limits of the device, but the response curve always looked exactly the same. Compare with other horns having no heat exchangers, and you'll see their LF response changes at high power levels. This is because motor heating changes the electro-mechanical specs and tends to shift the alignment towards an underdamped condition. Not so on the 12π, it's heat exchangers make performance rock solid, and the response is uniform at all power levels.

Re: 12π basshorn subwoofer [message #48052 is a reply to message #47927] Sun, 23 October 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paulo is currently offline  Paulo
Esquire
I´m very interested in your projects, 12pi and 2pi tower; may I have acces to the plans?
Thanks in advance for your attention.

Regards,

Paulo

You've got mail! [message #48053 is a reply to message #48052] Sun, 23 October 2005 12:52 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Stage Series 4 Pis For Sale
Next Topic: Heat exchangers Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:11:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers