Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi sevens in a big room
Pi sevens in a big room [message #45123] Thu, 29 July 2004 21:35 Go to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Hi All,

I've been off the board for a while due to my move. I'm now using the Pi Seven cornerhorns (Theater Series) that I glued up a week before we loaded the trucks.

I am only using them as bass horns. They are exactly what I was hoping for. Before, I was only using the Lowthers in front horns and the bottom was missing. Now it's like the Pi's are not even there, but the Lowthers don't miss those bottom notes. Illusion, sure. But really neat, with no boominess or other nasty artifacts that take away from the beauty of the sound.

For the record, I'm running a pair of Paramours fed by a McIntosh MR71 or custom parafeed 6J4/6J5 preamp. There is now just a simple 120 Hz crossover - 11mH coil and 166 mike cap IIRC (it's upstairs)- between the amps and the speakers. Sounds great. I'm expecting parts for Paraglows on Monday. When those are done I'll bi-amp with the 'Mours (3.5 watts) driving the Pi's and the 'Glows (1.6 watts) driving the Lowthers. Both speakers are at about 104 db/meter.

The system is now in a room that starts out 12 feet wide for the first 20 feet, then one wall kicks out 5 feet (now 17 feet wide) for another 12 feet. It's in the beginning of the 12 ft. wide area - the cornerhorns 12 feet apart at their farthest points. The ceiling starts at 8 ft. high and peaks to about 13 ft. at the 16 foot mark and then slopes back down to end at 8 ft. again. I would post a picture but the movers got grease(!) all over the unfinished MDF. I plan to clean them up (the speaks, not the movers) and coat them with birch veneer.

With the volume at 11 o'clock you can hear the music throughout the house. The sound is just awesome. Highly recommended if you like Lowthers.

As you may be able to tell, I'm way overtired. But I just wanted to post the results now that I'm back online.

Thanks Wayne for all the help! Truly a superior product.

Len

Re: Pi sevens in a big room [message #45127 is a reply to message #45123] Fri, 30 July 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a really interesting system. Shanko did something like that too and I always thought it was cool. Please post pics if you can, when you have time.

Speaking of Shanko's Pi's..... [message #45153 is a reply to message #45127] Tue, 03 August 2004 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerrod Harden is currently offline  Jerrod Harden
Baron
I've been thinking of the chopped ten Pi configuration as Shanko used it. If I recall correctly he ommited the two dead air spaces and cornered the cabinets. Interesting adaption of the orignal design and something I'd wondered about. Would this be a workable solution to a room with smallish corners?(approx. 4ft rear wall width both sides opening to larger bay window behind and between the wall the speakers are placed) Also is the mouth size critical, or are we simply forming a pseudo type corner in a typical application? Wondering if the cabinets could be stretched wider(taller when layed on the side?)I'm guessing the same attenuation would still be appropriate as specified for the corner horns or typical folded configuration? Thanks for the comments, Jerrod

Jerrod

Re: Speaking of Shanko's Pi's..... [message #45155 is a reply to message #45153] Tue, 03 August 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It is a pretty good solution when you don't have corners or they are truncated.

re: bay window [message #45161 is a reply to message #45153] Wed, 04 August 2004 18:30 Go to previous message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
I have a bay window centered between my sevens. With the 12 foot room width, I also end up with about four feet of straight wall for each speaker. It sounds great.

I have no window dressings on that window (shades or curtains) and the bass boxes are about five feet behind the lowther front horns. The bay windows seem to add a little reinforcement to the bass, which is good in my case since the sound needs to travel farther and so loses volume. About twenty-five feet out is the sweet spot in this configuration.

Using the true complete Pi cornerhorn instead of lowthers, a simple voltage divider in the crossover should allow you to play with the volumes if you need to do so.

Len

Previous Topic: Speaking of Pro Amps
Next Topic: Theater 4 Pi Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:54:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers