Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » BMS compression drivers and Pi ?
BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43733] Wed, 21 January 2004 03:45 Go to next message
andreas paulsen is currently offline  andreas paulsen
Baron
Hello All

Has anybody tried using the supposedly very good BMS 4590 2" compression driver in a PI system ? it's a dual concentric design so the crossover needs an additional crossover frequency ?.
An audiophile Pi seven would then end up as a 4 way system.

Cheers
Andreas

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43734 is a reply to message #43733] Wed, 21 January 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Andreas

That is a pretty cool compression driver ey! I havn't seen a comp driver with seperate diaphragms to cover different frequency ranges before. It's got two voice coils and each needs a crossover network. Apparantly they act as a point source togethor, so I guess the audiophile series could be termed 3 way system still.

Doesn't the audiophile series have a midrange as well? The BMS 4590 can be used 400Hz to 21KHz, just seems a little bit of a waste to use this expensive compression driver when the HF horn in the audiophile series does not need to cover this much bandwidth. This comp driver looks like it doens't need a compensation circuit, so you would have to attenuate it anyway to match midrange sensitivity in the audiophile 7 Pi. I think its a bit of a waste to use the BMS 4590 IMO, but would be great for 2 way system with xover at 400Hz. For Audiophile 7 Pi, I would guess that a 1" exit driver would be best suited practically. It would need compensation, although that should not be a problem as Wayne's got the crossover schematics and it also matches the sensitivity too.

Adrian

See Bill Martinelli's Site [message #43735 is a reply to message #43733] Wed, 21 January 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Bill Martinelli has some beautiful examples of his horns (which I assume use BMS drivers because those are what he sells) on Pi - design bases.

www.woodhorn.com/completespeakers.htm

Questions:

How do I make the above appear as a link in a post? What are the meanings of the "Optional Link URL:" and other boxes at the bottom of the "Post a Reply?"

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43744 is a reply to message #43733] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
They're a pretty neat solution, aren't they?

Good stuff!

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43747 is a reply to message #43734] Wed, 21 January 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Adrian
I think you're right. I would be wastefull to use a 4590 in conjunction with a midrange driver. On the other hand it would end up as a really cool system. But maybe one of the 1" compression drivers are a more practical choice.

I have heard that the 4590 and the 4592 neodymium should be really awesome. However I haven't personally heard any of them.

What i have on shelf is a couple of jbl 2245 and a 8" focal axiom midrange driver which i suspect could be used instead of the jbl 2123 in an audiophile system.

cheers
andreas

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43752 is a reply to message #43747] Thu, 22 January 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Andreas

What's the sensitivity of that focal driver? If I recall, they're L.E stuff. Maybe I'm wrong though, I havn't checked out focal's stuff in years actually.

I would love to get my hands on a 4590 or 4592 as well!

Adrian

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43753 is a reply to message #43752] Thu, 22 January 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hmm the focal high end drivers are quite sensitive, my one is a dedicated pro audio midrange with a sensitivity of 98-99 db/1w/1m. I cannot be to sure as I havent got a spec sheet or a calibrated mic.
the fs at 110Hz is a bit high though for a low crossover frequency

In general the focal stuff is more sensitive than scan-speak og vifa type of drivers.

cheers
andreas

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43754 is a reply to message #43734] Thu, 22 January 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Adrian, and guys,

If you wanted to use a driver like a 4590 or 4592 in a pi system it would then become a three way system. This would be a variation of Wayne's Audiophile design that is a 3 way system using a 10" for the midrange.

You wouldn't necessarily be wasting the bandwidth of the 4590 or 4592, because this driver is capable of taking the place of the 10" cone driver.

BMS recommends a lowest crossover point for these drivers to be 400hz. I have made test and measurements with FFT Spectrum Analyzer and The driver does have very good response to 400 rolling out down to 300. If horn you use will load down to 250 or 300 I would say crossing these drivers at 400 is no problem at all. The BMS recommended crossing point for the mid to hi is 6300hz and there should be no deviation from this. 6.3-6.5khz is the best spot.

Aside from all this I have some personal opinions that are purely subjective and just what I like. Generally speaking I like crossing into a 2" format driver around 750hz and a 1" driver at 1600hz. This is largely depending on the woofer. If you look at woofers like a JBL 2226 or kilomax they run up to 1600 with out problems. crossing them over at 600-800 is a great spot. For me this puts less strain on the compression driver where it's working the hardest. Pushing the compression drivers down to the cut off point is is fine and they are design to do so with steep enough crossover slopes. I find they sound nicer when not pushed quite so low.

The 4592 IS by far more sonically superior to the 4590. The 4590 sounds fine but 4592 is very very sweet sounding. For that matter I also find that all 3 neodymium models outperform the ceramic magnet counterparts.

My favorite driver is the little 4540. This has to be crossed at 1600hz or higher. The recommendation is a little higher but there has been no problem with home stereo use. the 4552 will cross lower is you need but I feel the the small one sounds better.

That's all the info and opinions I can offer about the BMS parts. Take it for what it's worth. Free information and I sell them.

Bill

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43768 is a reply to message #43754] Mon, 26 January 2004 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi Bill,

I had some questions regarding the 4590. If one were to use the Eminence crossover (3rd order high-pass, 2nd order low pass @ 1600hz) in a JBL 2370, how much power could it take and how would you equalize it? It seems to have a rising high end above 15KHz. Do you need to compensate for this?

Dave

Re: BMS compression drivers and Pi ? [message #43770 is a reply to message #43754] Mon, 26 January 2004 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Sounds cool, Bill, thanks for the info. I really want those 4592's now!

Previous Topic: can the 2445J use in the pro 4 instead of the 2426?
Next Topic: baffle spacing, vertical alignment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:30:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout