Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » progess pics
progess pics [message #43435] Mon, 22 December 2003 02:30 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Just a quick progress report, have attached front baffles and divider between HF and MF horns and done a hell of a lot of sanding getting the side surface smooth so veneered panel could be attached.

Then I proceeded to attach the veneered side panel. I needed something heavy as the clamps could only hold the edges. I couldn't find anything of good weight, then I remembered...

Cheers

- Adrian

Re: progess pics [message #43437 is a reply to message #43435] Mon, 22 December 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buster is currently offline  buster
Esquire
Gday Adrian
Is the weight just for christmas or new year as well

either way you would have earned it by the time you finish

Re: progess pics [message #43438 is a reply to message #43435] Mon, 22 December 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are really coming along nicely. You're going to be very proud of those when you're done!

what kind of tweeter horn? [message #43442 is a reply to message #43435] Mon, 22 December 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stupid newbie is currently offline  stupid newbie
Chancellor
Adrian(or any of you other speaker gurus), I'm building a similiar project(built around a similiar midrange anyway, Im going to use an old magnavox 15" Alnico woofer for a while in an OB 'tll I build my bass horns),I was wondering what kind of tweeter are you going to use? I really wanted to build A conical tweeter with the same radiation pattern, but I've never seen a conical tweeter used. I do have a set of Coral tweeters that use a semiconical horn, but the mouth is rounded over(they reside in another speaker now). Currently I'm using some exponential magnavox horns with a 3"X9" mouth and alnico magnets. I damped the metal lens and it sounds pretty good(need some serious crossover work though--and I don't want to put the time into it if there is a better design out there that I can afford), but I really like the sound of the Corals and my midranges better. I don't know if its the shape of the lens, or the quality of the drivers. Do you think conicals would be worth the try? Thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate it.

Re: what kind of tweeter horn? [message #43444 is a reply to message #43442] Tue, 23 December 2003 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey "stupid newbie" (haha, well thats the nickname ya used!).

I'm using a horn based tweeter, JBL 2370 horn flares with P.Audio PA-D45 comp drivers attached and Waynes crossover network will be used on them. The flares are Bi-Radial type, having a radial design in both vertical and horizontal planes, unlike a normal radial flare where the vertical is actually exponential, only the horizontal is radial.

Are you having a midrange horn too? Or just direct radiator midrange? Is it two way or 3 way system?

You could do a conical horn flare for the tweeter if you wanted. Remember though the conical has a negative slope, so use it in a Hybrid form to make the slope closer to zero. The conical flare has reduced phase distortion. See Waynes post "Characteristics of various horn flares" at http://www.AudioRoundTable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/1623.html for details on Hybrid forms, etc.

What sort of dispersion do your Corals have?

So do you actually plan on building some conical HF horns by yourself? I built some midrange conical horn flares that I modelled in Hornresp, but I don't think you could model a compression driver in there (mostly due to lack of information). If you really wanted to, you could build a flare that gives you the dispersion you want etc, and then build the Hybrid section and attach the comp driver with a mounting flange like the ones Bill Martinelli uses on his woodhorns. Then keep taking freq response measurements with speakerworkshop and changing the expo/hyperbolic "hybrid" section until you get the response curve you want. Its quite a lot of work though. I did a lot of this measurement stuff and experimenting with the midrange horns I built. For a HF horn, I would rather just buy a ready made one as theirs some very good ones out there. But if your up for it, give it a shot!

Adrian

Re: what kind of tweeter horn? [message #43445 is a reply to message #43444] Tue, 23 December 2003 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stupid newbie is currently offline  stupid newbie
Chancellor
Wow! Bill Martinelli builds beautiful horns!! I thought that mine were coming along rather well 'till loking at those. Theory is one thing, but craftsmanship is an art. An equation may be worth a thousand pictures, but those pictures(of Bill's horns) are priceless. I almost wish I could just buy some, but I'd still be disappointed in myself for not building some so, here I go. Thanks for your ideas. My Corals seem to have approx 45 deg round flare. They sound really good, but I had to use them to replace blown tweeters in some cabinets my uncle left me in his will, and those things fit perfectly and sound better than the originals. Right now I'm using some magnavox horns on the upper end of these, but they're way too loud and not very extended on the upper end. I don't really want to use any resistors in my tweeter crossover. I'm such an idealist, I hate to comprimise. Unfortunately that's all speaker building is--choosing your comprimises. so I think I'll just stick with my Magnavoxs for now anyway untill I get the rest of the bugs worked out of my system. Then I'll probably just buy what I'm looking for. I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks alot for your input! It really helps alot. I wish I was smart enough to actually come up with some good ideas for you smart people, but I'm still a stupid newbie. Give me a couple of years.

Re: what kind of tweeter horn? [message #43448 is a reply to message #43445] Wed, 24 December 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey again

Bill makes some really nice horns ey. Its cool your building your own though, you'll feel really good about them when you finally get it to work exactly as you wanted. I know I did when I finally got my midrange horn to work properly after three different prototypes and hours of experimenting with various things like front and back chambers, phase plugs, throat size, etc.

Why don't you want to use any resistors in your crossover network?

Perhaps you could benefit from Waynes compensation network on your magnavox horns seeing as you say your missing out some of the top end. I guess you cant really know until you take a few freq response measurements on-axis. Use Speakerworkshop.

Adrian

Some new pictures [message #43450 is a reply to message #43435] Wed, 24 December 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Just thought I'd put up some new pictures

Above shows the whole thing tipped on its side. That fibreglass you see is not really needed. The section it is in is completely closed off from the woofer chamber, its just wasted space actually. So it was probably a waste, but oh well - I got a ton of the stuff anyway.

Above shows enclosure with sides attached

Above shows box with sides and top attached.

Still gotta attach all this stuff to the other tower, then I gotta put in the lips for the back panel, as the top half is removable. Then all the odds and ends, like sanding down bumps, cutting and drilling holes for terminal cups + components, finishing etc.

Re: Some new pictures [message #43451 is a reply to message #43450] Wed, 24 December 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

just realized I still havn't cut the port holes :P I wonder why I forgot to.

Re: Some new pictures [message #43455 is a reply to message #43451] Wed, 24 December 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a bummer on the port. But I expect it will be easy to correct. Better to have too small a hole (or no hole) than one that's too big!

Those speakers are coming along very nicely!

Previous Topic: JBl 2235
Next Topic: It Never Stops! How about PSD2002 in 2PI Towers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 02:55:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio