Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » power amp specs
power amp specs [message #43421] Fri, 19 December 2003 20:46 Go to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Hi Folks,

I'm 1/2-heartedly shopping for a power amp and looking pretty
closely at the Crown amps from PE, specifically the CE1000. From
reading the specs, is seems that even Crown is moving away from the
FTC requirements of specing power, distortion, etc. at 20-20KHz.
The only amps that have these sorts of specs are the Studio I and II
which cost an arm and a leg. Same deal with HT amps. They all
seem to be rated at 100W/ch X 5 channels or more, but if you check
the back by the power cord, they claim a max 375W input. Have they
discovered cold fusion in the form of an audio amp? :^)
I doubt it. So back to the original question, are the Crown CE amps
at least decent? Quiet? It *has* to be quieter than the 100W Klipsch plate amp I'm using now. Any other relative bargins in
power amps around? QSC seems to get good comments. Which series?

Thx, Chris

Re: power amp specs [message #43423 is a reply to message #43421] Fri, 19 December 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The CE-1000 is a great amp, very solid... Both the Crown and the QSC would be a solid choice... I'd lean a bit to the QSC...

Adam

Re: power amp specs [message #43425 is a reply to message #43423] Sat, 20 December 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with Adam here. I like both Crown and QSC products. I've run Crown's for so long that I'm partial to them, probably like an old Ford man likes his Fords. But I see a lot of comments just like Adam's, giving QSC the nod by a nudge.

Adam, how's the horn coming? I made a post to you about it yesterday, but it's down the page a bit.

Re: power amp specs [message #43431 is a reply to message #43425] Sat, 20 December 2003 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey dude,

No progress on the horns so far. The garage needs to be cleared out and my room needs some work as well. Once that's done, I have about six other cabinets to build before that.

I think I'm going to tinker with those conical horns, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm currently working on a pair of MTM mini towers using the Excels and possibly a Scan Speak 9500, or maybe even a Hiquphon OWII or OWIII. The construction will be pure fibreglass, bullet/teardrop shaped enclosures and integrated stand, all with bondo, a deep blue crackle paint job and a pearl finish. I think they'll be unlike anything you've seen before, Wayne! I started the mold earlier this week... Going to take a while. I'm expecting the enclosures alone to be a three month project.

Adam

Re: power amp specs [message #43434 is a reply to message #43431] Sun, 21 December 2003 05:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Now, that sounds cool! Definitely keep us informed.

Previous Topic: Hi Wayne!
Next Topic: Other horn flares
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:37:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout