Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2226g subwoofer, what is the best approach?
JBL 2226g subwoofer, what is the best approach? [message #40514] Tue, 04 March 2003 11:36 Go to next message
jmiyake@earthlink.net is currently offline  jmiyake@earthlink.net
Esquire
I have a pair of JBL 2226g drivers. I wish to make a subwoofer for hometheater/ and music.

What is the best approach to using these drivers?

Thanks,
James

Seven π cornerhorns [message #40516 is a reply to message #40514] Tue, 04 March 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL 2226 is probably my favorite part for midwoofer applications, from about 50Hz all the way up into the lower midrange. But just so you know what to expect, I should tell you that it's tough to get much output below 40Hz from them. They sound very powerful and so don't misinterpret my comments. I find them to sound excellent, just as they are. But JBL makes some other woofers that are tuned lower and that generate more output below 50Hz.

At any rate, my suggestion is that you put them in a π cornerhorn configuration. That will give you excellent performance from these fine speakers.

Re: Seven π cornerhorns [message #40517 is a reply to message #40516] Tue, 04 March 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello Wayne,
So if I understand you correctly there is not a lot of low output. But try a cornerhorn.

Where exactly can I get info on the cornerhorns?

James

You've got mail! [message #40522 is a reply to message #40517] Tue, 04 March 2003 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: You've got mail! [message #40524 is a reply to message #40522] Tue, 04 March 2003 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!

Say this seems to be a do-able thing. A couple of questions:

If there is room to increase the height of the horn, are there any downsides to making the speakers towers?
Can you use the floor and the front wall to load the bass, as in a horizontal horn?

James

Seven π cornerhorns [message #40525 is a reply to message #40524] Tue, 04 March 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The woofer must be near the apex of three room boundaries or it won't be in the eight-space condition that the seven π cornerhorn is designed for.

Re: Seven π cornerhorns [message #40558 is a reply to message #40525] Thu, 06 March 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the info sofar. I love the elegant simplicity of the cornerhorn design. As it happens the front of my listening room has 2 closed corners 13' apart relatively free of obstructions for 8' in all directions until the listening area. The room is 20' long with an 8' ceiling.

However I am concerned about the steep dropoff displayed by the 2226 in the 7 cornerhorn design. I would want more low frequencies in a subwoofer application. I am wondering how to coax more low frequency response out of this driver. I read your comments about low tuning and underdamping, and I am wondering how you would approach adapting that to the corner design.

Example it occurs to me that by extending the enclosure compartment by adding an enlarged chamber area at the top attached to the current 2.5 cubic foot area you could increase the volume, and then lower the tuning, while keeping the loading identical. However how critical is relationship between the loading and the exact tuning of the enclosure?

James

Re: Seven π cornerhorns [message #40559 is a reply to message #40558] Thu, 06 March 2003 13:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL 2226 works very well in boxes from 2.5ft3 to 5ft3 so seven π motor chamber volumes in this range work very well. Tune it between 30Hz and 40Hz and it will sound great.

Is there any chance you can come to the Midwest Audiofest in Ohio, April 11-13? I'm asking because there will be some seven π cornerhorns there, and I think you might enjoy hearing them. The bass is very powerful in the stock cabinet configuration and this would give you a chance to hear them.

Previous Topic: Celestion studio series CX 1512 drivers?
Next Topic: YAMAHA NS1000M
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:43:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout