Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [message #38578] Tue, 08 October 2002 11:02 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Well I couldn't wait any longer for my coils to show up from Solen, been a week already, gimme a break!...so I went back to plan "A" , wind my own. Since I couldn't accurately measure the value I did the next best thing....wound 2 spools of 15 guage wire to the approximate size of the MIA Solen Inductors. Since I sure they would be way off anyway I sped up the process substantial by winding them on the drill press. 5 minutes to set up, 30 seconds each to wind..lol.....ahhh precision.
Soldered up the rest of the crossover and dragged the semi-completed 4Pi Pro into the house. In went the 2226H and fired it up, in magnicent MONO!!!!!.....Well my first impression wasn't one of joy....I had a preconceived idea of how the 4Pi Pro would sound and this wasn't it. In my mind I thought that it would be some pounding "live sounding Raggae killer" speaker. And it wasn't so. After my initial disappointment I fiddled with the pre-amp and picked some different material....I threw in some Diana Krall to check out the vocal abilities of the 4Pi.....sat down with the gf (girlfriend) and gave it a critical listen. We were shocked ...much back and forth switching between the old system and my new MonoPi ensued. The detail and clarity of the 4Pi was incredible! While it lacked the pounding bass of my old 10" Peerless based speakers, it ("it" lol...isn't it suppose to be them) more than made up with sparking clear detail and bite in Diana's vocals. Well ok...try something else in went Creed.....it was good but not great Scott Straps vocals are rough at the best of times and on MonoPi they were no exception. In went Eric Clapton, Cocaine, WOW....we heard inflection in Erics voice like I had never heard before and so forward sounding it was like he was right there and the bass, it was great...not rumbly or thick just very detailed and POWERFUL. I had my rat shack Db meter beside us just to see how loud it really was, 85 whopping Db, but things in other rooms were bouncing and resonating......to be continued
Kelly
Re: MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [message #38580 is a reply to message #38578] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron

Hi Kelly.

What amp/preamp or receiver are you using. Wattage? Playing at what level?

I find as much as it's the vocals that are rough there are differences in the quality of the recordings. The differences become very obvious as the quality of the system improves. I think as much as you start a good system with a solid design part of a good system is "adjustability" to try to compensate for differences in recording. They aren't all equal.

Your DIY winding was good for a chuckle.

Thanks,

Grant.

Re: MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [message #38581 is a reply to message #38580] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I was using my D-150a Crown amp with a Luxman 1010 pre-amp thru an old Pioneer CD player. The D-150a is good for about 85 watts at 8ohms with I had throttled way back on both it and the pre-amp and still had lots of volume.
Kelly
Winding your own [message #38583 is a reply to message #38578] Tue, 08 October 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here are a couple of formulas that might help you when winding your own coils:

Single layer coils

L = NR2 / (6R + 9X)

where

L = Inductance in microHenries
N = Number of rotations in winding
R = Radius of wire form
X = Length of wire form

This formula is for air core coils only and is accurate within 10%.

Multiple layer coils

L = 0.8NR2 / (6R + 9X + 10D)

where the above variables are used and

D = Depth of windings in wire form

This formula is also for air core coils and is accurate within 30%.

Re: Winding your own [message #38584 is a reply to message #38583] Tue, 08 October 2002 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mover Dave is currently offline  Mover Dave
Esquire
Hi there,

If you really want to wind your own coils, this website will make it a lot easier.

Regards

Dave

Re: MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [message #38585 is a reply to message #38581] Tue, 08 October 2002 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron

85 watts !!!! You can probably hire your system out for house demolitions like George does ;-).

Cheers,

Grant

The Very Good, The Bad and the Ugly...... [message #38588 is a reply to message #38578] Tue, 08 October 2002 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Never explained my overly dramatic subject line.
The Good, obviously Waynes well thought design and fantastic sound.
The Bad, the way crappy cd's sound on Pi speakers, Garbage in garbage out.
The Ugly, My first vanier job....I'll post...you'll understand.
Kelly
Here's another [message #38589 is a reply to message #38584] Tue, 08 October 2002 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The problem with Shavano's site is that for any given value, it will give a different core radius...which cause a problem if you don't have access to a lathe or some other way to precisly make a core. If your out by more than a wires diameter it screws up the value of the inductor. And with out measuring equipment who really knows what they end up with. The link below is neat cause it will make core dia. anything you want. problem with it is that you can bump the dimensions substantially and not change the calculated value or worse change the dimension slightly and move the value by 50% ! So in the end I did like everyone else and bought them (loser) lololol or worse again...make your own to some whacked out spec till the real ones get here.
Kelly

Re: Here's another [message #38593 is a reply to message #38589] Tue, 08 October 2002 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
How hard is it to make the correct diameter? Use your router or saber saw. Or am I missing something?
Ron
Maybe [message #38595 is a reply to message #38593] Tue, 08 October 2002 19:43 Go to previous message
Master
What you need to start the inductor is a dowel of Xdia. that is usually some weird non standard size. It needs to be exact length, parallel and all within thousands of an inch to work out right ...a bit beyond my means.
Kelly
Previous Topic: Mo MonoPi.....
Next Topic: Many thanks to Wayne and others here, pseudo 4pi pro is great
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:31:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers