Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One Pi's are finished!
One Pi's are finished! [message #38458] Thu, 26 September 2002 20:23 Go to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
I finally got the one Pi's done that I had been working on over the past 2 months. They actually dont look half bad painted with a semi-flat black paint.

How much break in do these guys need? Ive got about 30mins. on 'em and there is NO bass. I know they arent designed to play very deep but they sound about like a 4 inch car speaker right now. Does this change? The tweeter sounds like it needs a little attenuation.

That aside, I do like the purity of the music. Ive got them hooked to the Adcom/Rotel system right now. I cant wait to hear how my Wright 2A3's sound on them.

Anyway, I used this project to get better with my woodworking skills. Now that I've finished and have all my apendages intact, its time to start thinking about the "real" speakers. Wayne, could you please send me the plans for the Stage fours?

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

You've got mail! [message #38461 is a reply to message #38458] Fri, 27 September 2002 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
One π speakers are nice and flat down to cutoff, but they aren't made for deep bass extension. Efficiency is 95dB/W/M and the cabinet is only 1.0ft3 so you can't expect a low cutoff. The -3dB point is 65Hz and -10dB is 45Hz. They're best used with subs or as surround speakers.

Beyond that, don't forget that speakers sound thinner when out in the open. You might try placing them back against the wall or maybe even in the corners of your room.

Re: You've got mail! [message #38467 is a reply to message #38461] Fri, 27 September 2002 14:31 Go to previous message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Thanks Wayne!

The 1 pi's were a great academic excercise for me as an introduction to speaker building. I repositioned them with both on top of some seperate bookshelves. One is in a corner and the other is on its side against the wall. Even in this awkward position they sound better in the bass, probably because of the corner/wall loading. The local Classical station sounds pretty darn good.

Thanks for your patience and generosity in sharing your knowledge.

Eat Mo'Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Previous Topic: New Horns! 12" model
Next Topic: Insulating subwoofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 08:05:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers