Home » Audio » Group Build » 10 ma max draw.
10 ma max draw. [message #30183] Fri, 21 January 2005 09:05 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say T; using the Hammond choke will limit us to max 10 ma per channel I believe you said. Can you say what effect that will have on the signal? Will it affect bass transients? Thanks J.R.

Re: 10 ma max draw. [message #30185 is a reply to message #30183] Fri, 21 January 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
We're venturing into an area of personal opinion and speculation. I would have to say, 'it will have an effect', that is to say, I believe that you'll be able to tell the diference if you switch them out or listen to the two side by side. How big a difference and the details of this difference are open to debate I think.

I don't want to get into a position where I have to make such predictions. Some of them would require a bit of shared listening experience for purposes of establishing the vocabulary. It is a question that I don't think really has an answer at this time.
regards,
Douglas

Re: 10 ma max draw. [message #30189 is a reply to message #30185] Fri, 21 January 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Understood. I had assumed since you made a point to mention that; that it might have some audible signifigance. One more question. Would a L-C-R-C help at all or in your experience does the L-C eliminate most of the ripple. I think what I am trying to say is given the capabilities of this trans would more filtering make a difference. Thanks J.R.
Understand I am just processing the information; not judgeing it. In order to decide whether to bite the bullet and fund the best choke I am trying to determine the eventual benefit.

Ripple Inn [message #30194 is a reply to message #30189] Fri, 21 January 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
With the 70-100 uF of capacitance and 20+ Hy of inductance, we'll be expecting about a volt or so of 120 cps ripple voltage. The active load will isolate our signal path adequately( pretty damn well actually). The added iimpedance we'd get from an additional R-C section would be detrimental IMO. The current drawn form teh supply is *NOT* constant with our use of the mu output. This is getting us the low output z, at the expense of requiring attention to the PS output z.

If a resistive load weere used, a second section would be required.

keep asking questions, and questiioning any and every detail, you'll not bother me in any way.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Ripple Inn [message #30197 is a reply to message #30194] Fri, 21 January 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I gotta say when you answer a question; you answer a question. I see that as the questions get more specific your answers really become easier to follow and more enlightening. Thats a talent. Can I ask;
When you say we use "the mu output", and this;
gets us the low output z at the "expense" of requiring attention to the PS output z; can you maybe elaborate. I know what mu means and how it relates to a tube but why we incur an expense from the PS that is different from another circuit topology is something I am not sure of. I hope I said that right. Thanks as always; J.R.

Re: Ripple Inn [message #30198 is a reply to message #30197] Fri, 21 January 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I wil assume a few idealizations with this explanation. The primary one being that the CCS operates to deliver a constant curent to the triode we are amplifying voltage signal with.

There are tww outputs, one to the plate, and the other to the load( our amplifier, and small resistor next to the mute switch in the schematic ). Since these loads will consume AC, the current delivered to the CCS will be our regulated amount + {load consumption}. The PS is going to have to deliver what is consumed by the load as ideally as is possible. The CCS will act to isolate the triode from this, but it *WON'T* be ideal. So, the better the PS can deal with a slightly variable load, the better our voltage amp will perform.

It is a small 'expense' IMO, but an audibly significant one I suspect.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Ripple Inn [message #30203 is a reply to message #30198] Fri, 21 January 2005 16:31 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks; I'm hitting the voltage amplifier chapter in Radiotron now as we speak.

Previous Topic: PS schematic
Next Topic: Who?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:57:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout