Home » Audio » Home Theater » Opinions on Toshiba & Sharp DVD recorder/players (w/HD)
Opinions on Toshiba & Sharp DVD recorder/players (w/HD) [message #28804] Fri, 25 June 2004 09:11 Go to next message
Malcolm is currently offline  Malcolm
Esquire
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and new to PVR/DVR's. I was wondering if someone here might have opinion(s) of a couple of DVD player/recorders, with hard drives. They are:
Toshiba RD-XS32, about $470 from eCOST.com
Sharp DV-HR300U, about $507 from Amazon.com
Both have 80GB HDD's. The Toshiba also has DVD-RAM recording capability (the Sharp only has DVD-R and DVD-RW). Both have progressive scan.
I am interested in using one of the above as a PVR, as well as recording and playing DVD's.
Thanks in advance, Malcolm

Re: Opinions on Toshiba & Sharp DVD recorder/players (w/HD) [message #28805 is a reply to message #28804] Fri, 25 June 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Margiotta is currently offline  Mark Margiotta
Esquire
Malcolm,

The two PVR's that you're looking at are both fine machines, but for the money I would be looking at the Panasonic DMR-E85HS. For starters the panasonic has a 120 GB hard drive. The panasonic also like the toshiba can record in DVD-RAM format as well as -R and RW. I have been using a panasonic machine for some time and I can say its editing capibilities are far superior to any other machines I have seen to date. When you are editing out commercials, cutting and splicing segments, and doing custom title work....the panasonic has them all beat hands down. The 85HS is available for $529.00 at Abes of Maine, which is a highly reputable internet store.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=psdmre85hs

The panasonic is only a little more expensive than the Sharp, but offers world class editing, and 40 more gigs of drive space. I would have to say thats all well worth the extra $22.00.

Anyway....I hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks, Mark - that helps a lot - the Panny DMR looks great (nt) [message #28806 is a reply to message #28805] Fri, 25 June 2004 12:50 Go to previous message
Malcolm is currently offline  Malcolm
Esquire
nt

Previous Topic: Thoughts on Center Speakers??
Next Topic: Bragging rights
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:38:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout