Home » Audio » General » CHANGED to SAturday, DEc 17, 2005 at 2 pm
CHANGED to SAturday, DEc 17, 2005 at 2 pm [message #2522] Tue, 13 December 2005 21:49 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Everyone,
Based on people's work schedules, i thought it best to retract the earlier date & change it to the regular meeting time of SAturday at 2 pm, this saturday, Dec 17, 2005.
PLease do bring music you wold like to listen to.

I'll have beer and pop, but please do feel free to bring your own drinks if you have another preference.

Hope this change will promote attendance.
thanks & sorry about the mixup.
-akhilesh

Cool! [message #2523 is a reply to message #2522] Wed, 14 December 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll be there!

Quick Summary of the meet last SAturday [message #2533 is a reply to message #2522] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
WE don't pics since no one had a digital camera (my wife took ours with her on her trip).

In attendance were: Norris Wilson, Wayne Parham, Bill Wassilak, Norman Tracy & Leo.

WE listened to the following systems:
1. Fostex FE83E in a double bass reflex box (as recommned by Fostex). THis ran with a hsu vtf-2 sub from 25-90 HZ, and therest on teh fe83E. THe FE83e received an EQ boost of 5 db from 90-450 Hz. It had remarkable air, and it was interesting to see what ne could get out a 3 inch driver!
The amp used was a BEZ 2a3 SET with a SOny s3000 source.

2. Fostex FE103A (alnico) in a bass reflex box. These also ran with the same sub as in 1, the same SET amp as in 1, and the same source. THE EQ for these was different. People thought these sounded more fuller, and had "better texture".

I also had on hand a dynaco ST35 kit amp, which we did not get to play. Since then, I heard it with theFE103A, and it sounds damn good!
This is a 6bq5 pushpull amp, with the old dynaoc z565 cloth trannies.

3. Altec 15" 515b in a 5.5 cu feet BR box, with 511b horn using an 808a compression driver. The bottom was a Hsu vtf-3 12 inch sub, upto 90 HZ.
THe 515b was crossed at 1500 HZ, using a 24db crossover.
There was serious EQing here, using a 5 band parametric EQ for each channel.
SOme folk thought the top eend was too mellow on these, but this was a function of EQing ( i tend to turn down hiss, since it distracts me, but other folk are more sensitive to it. )I changed the EQ to meet other folks preference.
The main deal with this system is the sheer dynamics and power.

I also promised to call some folk after I Set up my music room, esp with my favorite system (the one with the cdd/bidat source, triamped with a hsu sub, trusonic 8 inchers and domes, and a 45 SET amp doing critical service from 90-3500 Hz).
That system, which we unfortunately could not hear is my favorite for my smaller listening room.

Anyway, this was just my summary of what happened.
-akhilesh

Re: Quick Summary of the meet last SAturday [message #2534 is a reply to message #2533] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I forgot to add, i really enjoyed the discussionwith everyone, esp when Leo talked about his meeting Bozak & Klipsch, and how Klipsch wold fly here in his old plane to hang at the audio stores.
-akhilesh

Re: Quick Summary of the meet last SAturday [message #2536 is a reply to message #2534] Mon, 19 December 2005 12:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I sure enjoyed hanging out with you, as always. Sorry my stay was so brief this time. Your systems sound great!

Previous Topic: Well I'm off to see the Wizard
Next Topic: Critical Listening
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:14:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout