Home » Audio » Speaker » If you ...
If you ... [message #23918] Fri, 31 August 2007 18:27 Go to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
... want to build an array what kind of budget would you have?

Re: If you ... [message #23920 is a reply to message #23918] Sat, 01 September 2007 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rick, is this a general question or a response to somebody's information request?

Re: If you ... [message #23921 is a reply to message #23920] Sat, 01 September 2007 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I've proposed a new design on the PE board and someone suggested I also start a thread here. The budget on this can vary quite a bit so I wanted to see if I could get some input.

Re: If you ... [message #23922 is a reply to message #23921] Sat, 01 September 2007 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What are you hoping to accomplish with a new design that wasn't already accomplished with the designs you currently sell?

I should think that you would need to have specific goals in mind before you get started.

I did.

Re: If you ... [message #23923 is a reply to message #23922] Sun, 02 September 2007 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The goal is to produce an array of reasonable size with symmetrical coverage in the horizontal plane that can cross to subwoofers in the 100-150hz range. I already have chosen a group of drivers that will meet the criteria so it's just a matter of what your budget is and desired system impedance.

I'm confused..... [message #23924 is a reply to message #23923] Mon, 03 September 2007 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is currently offline  Rex
Esquire
How is this different than say your XT8's, with your Citrine sub woofers adjusted slightly? It would seem that by adjusting the crossover you would already have what you are proposing to build.

I'm confused.

Re: I'm confused..... [message #23925 is a reply to message #23924] Mon, 03 September 2007 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
This is very different from the XT8. The goal here is not to "beat" the other arrays in performance but to offer a less costly alternative that will perform very well.

The tradeoffs:

1) Lower sensitivity than our other arrays (88-91db target)

2) Higher crossover point to the subwoofer (100-150hz)

3) Less Sd (surface area) due to the smaller woofers

Advantages:

1) Lower cost

2) More tweeter choices to meet different budgets

3) Symmetrical coverage

4) Smaller cabinet footprint with less weight

5) Options for system impedance

More questions? [message #23926 is a reply to message #23925] Mon, 03 September 2007 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is currently offline  Rex
Esquire
Do you plan to offer it as a kit like some of the others?

What mid ranges have you selected as possible choices to reduce cost?

Why does "symmetrical coverage" mean?

How many tweeters?

And how many mid's do you think you will use?

Will it be a passive crossover design or an active design?

Do you expect to use separate cabinets for each of the mids or one giant cabinet for all?

Rex

Re: More questions? [message #23927 is a reply to message #23926] Mon, 03 September 2007 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, I would offer it as a kit. There are drivers from AuraSound and HiVi that will work very well (maybe some others as well but I'm focusing on these). The symmetrical coverage is allowed with a line of woofers on each side flanking a line of planar or ribbon drivers. McIntosh has some similar designs except they use dome tweeters for the center. The amount of drivers can vary from 16+ woofers per line (64+ for a pair of arrays)and 8+ for the planar/ribbon tweeters (16+ for the array pair). I'll provide a passive design crossover but it could easily be driven active with the right active crossover. One long cabinet about 12" wide and 12" or less deep. And of course the guinea pig gets the best price

Re: More questions? [message #23929 is a reply to message #23928] Mon, 03 September 2007 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Thanks for your kind comments. I tend to prefer the sealed arrays because it allows for a more compact cabinet and good integratiion with subwoofers. Ported arrays are fine provided you have a woofer that can give you good low end extension with a -3db point in the low to mid 40's. There are very few 5" drivers that will do that without active EQ so that's why I often suggest a 7" for ported arrays. Of course the cabinet size increases quite a bit so you have to keep that in mind.

Open baffle arrays present different challenges and in order to cross over to a subwoofer you need to apply a great deal of equalization. You also need a fairly wide baffle and for many wives this isn't possible There's also the problem of making it stable because all of the weight is at the front of the cabinet. There are also some design issues to overcome in terms of room response.

Having worked with the Eton drivers I think you'll find them better suited to a closed box versus open baffle.

Previous Topic: Replacing Monsoon MM:1000 speakers
Next Topic: Basshorn article in AudioXpress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:16:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout