Home » Audio » Speaker » Jim's talk at DIY dayton
Jim's talk at DIY dayton [message #22351] Wed, 20 October 2004 09:34 Go to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Hi all,(and Jim)
Does any know what time Dr. Jim Griffin is starting his talk at DIY Dayton. I am driveing in from Chicago and do not want to miss it.

------

Linc

Re: Jim's talk at DIY dayton [message #22352 is a reply to message #22351] Wed, 20 October 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
I wish I knew as well. I haven't seen a schedule. You might call Darren Kuzma at the Parts Express phone number (1-800-338-0531) to ask.

Jim

How was it? [message #22353 is a reply to message #22351] Mon, 25 October 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
How was the Dayton DIY? You make me feel bad for not going. You drove in from Chicago, and I live two exits away and still could not find the time.....Colin

Re: How was it? [message #22354 is a reply to message #22353] Mon, 25 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd like to hear about it too. I'll bet it was informative and fun.

Re: How was it? [message #22355 is a reply to message #22353] Mon, 25 October 2004 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
For the most part Jim focused the talk as an introduction. The format was taken mainly from his white paper. The nearfield/ farfield effects were reviewed with his rule of thumb for determining the transition. I think I could have spent a few hours just asking questions but time was short. Jim did manage to get a quick and quiet jab in at Bose- they are an easy target.

Then we listened. He had brought the needles with them. They were the only other line array pair I have heard other than my focused array. I like the line array sound. Any one else have a pair in the Chicago area? The 3" tang ban drivers have a very fast mid base response. I am leaning toward another focused array with the 4" tang ban drivers as my next project.

---------

Linc

Re: How was it? [message #22359 is a reply to message #22355] Wed, 27 October 2004 20:04 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Linc,

A pleasure to meet you in Dayton. Thanks for attending the presentation and I too enjoyed the chance to talk with other line array devotees.

When you present material like the near field line array stuff to a group (or have a copy of it on the net) then you have to adjust your presentation so that a large part of the attendees can comprehend what you have to say. For someone like you with a great deal of array experience it may seem to be boring yet for others it might be too advanced. The trick is to balance the contents to educate the largest share of the attendees.

We'll agree to disagree on curved arrays but that is what makes life interesting.

Jim

Previous Topic: JBL 2242H
Next Topic: DIY Iowa results and recognition (very long)….
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 23:05:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio