Home » Audio » Speaker » Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's
Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21448] Mon, 27 February 2006 19:10 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Hello, I'm considering adding super tweeters to my system and I am not sure if I want to go down that road or not. I have the 9 watt Consonance M500 mono block S.E.T.'s and am contemplating a little more top end. Do super tweeters take up much power? Is the sound going to be worse in respect to having two point sources instead of one?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Pete

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21449 is a reply to message #21448] Mon, 27 February 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I would STRONGLY recomned supertweeters. Hereare some points to consider:
1. Get dome supertweeters that go upto 25,000 Hz at least.

2. Cross them aboe 3500 Hz for no loss in omaging that you will be able to hear.

3. No they will not consume much power. How much power do you think it takes to drive a small dome like that? ALmost none!

4. THe crossovers you use may consume some power. If you go with a simle 6db/octave low & high filter, and get the crossover points right, my guess is you will have a much better sounding system.
-akhilesh

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21450 is a reply to message #21448] Tue, 28 February 2006 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
It depends on what supertweeter you use. If it's a low-impedance ribbon that could give your amp a pain in the, ah, output stage.

I use FE206E's with a T90A on top, padded down somewhat, and rolling off first order below 15 kHz (still contributing significantly an ocatave or so below that point). I don't use a high pass filter on my FE206E, but I do some response shaping down in the lower treble region. The FT17H is also a very nice unit at a much lower price, and if you're going to cross over that high it's probably just about as good.

Duke

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21451 is a reply to message #21449] Tue, 28 February 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for your reply. Do you have some specific advice on 4ohm vs. 8ohm? Minimal sensitivity figures? To be a good match with the 206 8ohm 96db. Is this critical? Because the 206 has a freq. bump around 10k I'm really interested in using a tweeter for like 15k and above with cross over easing it in from around 12k. Does this sound feasable to you? Do you know where I can get some advice on the specific crossovers to use for a specific tweeter to give me only the upper range? Thanks again, Pete

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21452 is a reply to message #21450] Tue, 28 February 2006 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
As I am in a very near field application, could you recommend a nice cloth dome tweeter, 4ohm vrs. 8ohm? Minimal sensitivity to match the 206? Should I expect to use a variable pad to adjust the volume of the tweeter or is this a bad sonic idea? After I choose a driver where can I learn more info as to what specific cross-over components to use, values,brand etc.. for the best results? Since the 206 has a bump around 10k I'm actually only interested in using the tweeter for 15k and above, easing in around 12k. Does this seem like a good way to go? Thanks again for your advice, Pete

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21453 is a reply to message #21451] Tue, 28 February 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here are some options:
1. VIfa tweeter dome from parts express, look for one around 96db
IT is 8 ohms. I forget the part number, but iot retailed for arounf $26. I use that one with great sound.

2. I don;t thin kthe impedancewill matter a whole lot. All else being equal, go with 8 ohms.

3. You can measure your 206 rolloff and then put in an appropriate high pass only xover, with the requisite slope. IF the slope is > 6 db, it may complicate things in terms of phase.
But, at the frequencies you are talking about, it won;t matter. Jst put a 1.5 MuF cap in series with the 8 ohm tweeter to begin with.
-akhilesh

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21454 is a reply to message #21453] Tue, 28 February 2006 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Vifa soft dome tweeters with high 2.83v sensitivity ratings are all 4 ohm models. I think the one you bought is no longer carried by Parts Express, although DST (now Tymphany) still makes it. It's an MG27T if I remember correctly. I like the DX25, it has high sensitivity and a large surround so is relatively forgiving of crossover frequency and slope. You can get 'em at Parts Express for about thirty bucks each.

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21455 is a reply to message #21454] Tue, 28 February 2006 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks again Wayne, I just printed out the specs for the MG27T from Madisound, but yes it is a 4 ohm driver with 96 db sensitivity. Would this be a good tweeter to run with my 206's? or would you recommend the DX25 also 4 ohms with a sensitivity of 93.5?
I do want this tweeter for mainly very high freqs. like 12k and above. Can you recommend a capacitor value best for me to use?
Also a good high quality brand name cap? Thanks, Pete

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21456 is a reply to message #21452] Tue, 28 February 2006 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Personally I wouldn't go with a cloth dome tweeter for this application, but if that's what you want then the Vifa recommended by Akhilesh and Wayne looks like a good choice to me.

Re: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's [message #21457 is a reply to message #21455] Tue, 28 February 2006 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do the FE206's have a BSC circuit?

I ask because my gut feeling is that if the overall system sensitivity is 93-95dB then I think the DX25 would be better. If it's 96-98dB then the MG27 would probably be better. It wouldn't be cost prohibitive to try them both and see. As far as cap value, that depends on what frequency you want to crossover. The DX25 allows a fairly low crossover point, so you can take advantage of that if you like.

Previous Topic: ALTEC VALENCIAS
Next Topic: What is the optimal frequency range for a single driver to reproduce?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 01:39:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio