Home » Audio » Speaker » FE127E Design
FE127E Design [message #20989] Tue, 07 June 2005 10:28 Go to next message
jackmoai is currently offline  jackmoai
Esquire
I've just done small BR cabinets for my new speakers, waiting for them to break-in.
A bit disappointed til now, but i know i have to WAIT.

I did these cabinets with "rounded" faces, it is supposed to reduce the impact of standing waves (?).

So I'm looking very hard for TQWT or BLH plans for my next design, but it seems that these drivers are not very famous among diyers...

I made a few designs with MJKing sheets,TQWT, flat SPL, but not sure it WILL work...

Something to recommend ?

Re: FE127E Design [message #20990 is a reply to message #20989] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
try a subwoofer. These are not suitable for full range in ANY box!
-akhilesh

Re: FE127E Design [message #20992 is a reply to message #20990] Tue, 07 June 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Uhhh ! Is it a joke ?

How can a driver with Fs=70hz be used as a subwoofer driver ?

I've seen a few designs with this driver, but the main question alwayw was : How to get MORE bass ?

Here we come with TQWT i guess...

TQTW plans anybody ?

Re: FE127E Design [message #20993 is a reply to message #20992] Tue, 07 June 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I meant try a subwoofer with ANOTHER driver, that fills frequencies till around 90-100 HZ. That might be better than trying to get an extra 10 HZ from this driver and still only reaching 65 Hz.
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: FE127E Design [message #20994 is a reply to message #20993] Tue, 07 June 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Would you have a plan to suggest ?

Re: FE127E Design [message #20995 is a reply to message #20994] Tue, 07 June 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, i'll be happy to give you suggestions.
Here are a few questions first that will help us all understand your situation better:

How did you build your BR boxes. Did you tune it using some CAD software/ How is the construction? Did you build them yourself? Are they properly sealed except fo the vent? What kind of carpeting did you use inside?

These may seem like a lot of questions, but will help us (at least me) provide some sensible suggestions.
-akhilesh

Re: FE127E Design [message #20996 is a reply to message #20995] Tue, 07 June 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for your prompt answers.

Yes, i build my BR boxes myself.

I used as reference the small BR fostex recommended enclosure, keeeping the volume(9L) and cross sectional area, but i "customized" them with rounded walls (Sonus Faber style !).Hard time to do this, but in fact i'm quite satisfied by the AESTHETIC result.

Then i tuned the port using Bassbox software, around 70-75Hz.

I used MDF 19mm with 3 coats of blackson (car damping painting).

Plus fiber layer i'm still trying to adjust.

At that time, i had never heard of MJ KIng, Bob Brines or TQWT...

That why i'm trying to get a better result, using modern designing theory !

55Hz would be nice !

Re: FE127E Design [message #20998 is a reply to message #20989] Wed, 08 June 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paba is currently offline  paba
Chancellor
Did you build the Fostex double bass reflex or the fostex standard small bass reflex cabinet?

looking at the specs of the double bass reflex cabinet it should give you some 55HZ content.

good luck
paba

Re: FE127E Design [message #20999 is a reply to message #20996] Wed, 08 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You can use TQWT and get a bit better bass. My advice is: stay with what you have and buy a good powered sub. There are many out there. I know Bob Brines sells one for $575. Hsu research is another place to allok at. Or you can try parts express titanic subs (probably not flat).
-akhilesh

Re: FE127E Design-- MLTL [message #21039 is a reply to message #20989] Sat, 02 July 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a preference for the MLTL and Fostex FE127e based on the numbers given
by GM at the full range driver forum.

This is my best build to date. The MLTL is wider and more shallow. The driver is
mounted 8 in. down from the top and a port tube extends out the bottom about 6 inches.

The MLTL plan calls for a 45d baffle at the port tub end (bottom) in a similar
design for the Jordan 92s. I've done a variation this which is still acceptable by
but required less wood and woodwork. No meter results available but I enjoy the
sound-- even on organ recitals.

I've also recently found a discontinued vtl (I think) design from Fostex. It looks
like a fun build.

I had overlooked this thread when it was first started. The FE127 was the first
single driver pair I bought and it's still the favorite. Lots of styles and build possibilities.

Previous Topic: The BEAST is here????
Next Topic: JBL L112 question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:37:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout